Renewed warnings over co-sleeping dangers following the death of a four week old baby boy.
The newborn baby was found dead at the side of his parents’ bed after they dozed off alongside him, an inquest heard.
Keeley Makin and partner Nicky Marsh usually put little Archie to sleep in his Moses basket in their bedroom but let the baby lie next to them after a night feed, shares The Sun.
The pair, who were described as “perfect parents”, woke up later that morning to find the tot unresponsive so dialled 999.
Submitting your rating…
Archie was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead from sudden infant death syndrome on November 17.
The inquest heard tests showed he had sustained accidental rib fractures thought to have been caused by him being ”squeezed side-to-side.”
Keeley and Nicky wept at the hearing in Bolton, Greater Manchester, after the coroner warned parents about the dangers of sleeping with their newborns.
In an emotional statement, Keeley said: “Archie was our beautiful little boy. He was our fourth child, we already have three boys.
“Archie’s death came as a horrible shock for the whole family. We were all so excited for Archie to come along, his brothers were amazing with him.
“We did not get to see his first smile. Not a day goes by where we don’t think about our Archie. He will forever be in our hearts.”
She told the inquest how Nicky had been to work while she stayed at home with the children on the day Archie died.
At around 1.30am, Nicky took the baby, who had a cold and was struggling to breath, from his Moses basket and gave him a bottle in bed after returning home.
He then lay Archie on the left side of the bed but tragically fell asleep, the court was told.
The couple frantically tried giving Archie CPR when they found him unresponsive the next morning but he couldn’t be saved.
Recording a conclusion of an accidental death, coroner Alan Walsh said: “There are probably hundreds of thousands of parents who may have infants sleeping in their bed this evening. But every one of those parents potential puts their infants child at risk.
“One thing that can arise from Archie’s tragic death is an awareness. This is a risk that can be avoided and a death that can be prevented.
“You would never have imagined this would have happened. You provided the perfect home, you were the perfect parents and I am extremely sorry.”
Our thoughts are with them x
Share your comments below