A Queensland mum of two claims she’s been living off a fruit-only diet for almost 30 years.

Anne Osborne is a fruitarian – that means she eats nothing but fruit, a diet she decided to adopt in her 20s and has continued ever since. Initially turning to a vegan lifestyle, Anne says she immediately felt the difference, and after hearing a talk from a fruitarian in the UK she decided to give it a go.

An Average Day

According to nineHONEY Anne’s average day consists of a melon and blueberries for breakfast, bananas as a mid morning snack, two avocados for lunch, the juice of some blood oranges for afternoon tea and finally, three mangoes for dinner.

Given it’s a struggle to get kids to eat fruit in any form, the idea of one person being able to chow down on nearly ten pieces a day is pretty impressive!

You’d think fruit salad would be a staple as a fruitarian, but Anne rarely eats more than one type of fruit at a time. “I think if you add things to it, it takes away. If you’ve got a really good mango, what can top that?” As much as we love mangoes, we’re not sure they entirely replace the occasional piece of cake or cheeky brownie.

Irresponsible Parenting?

Anne has two sons, both brought up as fruitarians, with fruit supplemented by breast milk. She denies that her children were deprived of a healthy diet, but Dr Ric Gordon told nineHONEY that people need to be cautious when cutting out essential food groups.

“You’re lacking some of the major things we need in our diet and those are things like omega 3s, the fatty acids, iron, calcium, vitamin D.”

Now grown up, Anne’s children have opted for a more well rounded diet, despite both remaining vegan.

Cravings?

And what about cravings I hear you ask? Well apparently, Anne has none. “I used to like chocolate a lot, and then I think fruit is very sweet and it’s almost like nature’s candy.”

While we admire Anne’s willpower, we’re not sure we are prepared to give up all the amazing food on offer in favour of a fruit-only lifestyle just yet!

What do you think of Anne’s fruitarian diet? Let us know in the comments.

More On Mouths of Mums

• Wow, I would get bored very quickly and I don’t understand how this could be a healthy diet. She would have to be deficient in something. Not to mention that fruit doesn’t fill me up.

• So what do you order if you go out to dinner? I get sick of eating the same thing and like my variety so not for me I’m afraid.

• She looks healthy but I hope she doesn’t miss important nutrients.

• She certainly looks healthy and it her choice, definitely not for me though !

• It is always difficult to tell if someone is healthy just by appearance and sometimes deficits do not show up until later.

• Food is to be enjoyed and nutrition can be gained from a wide variety of delicious and healthy foods. I just do not see the need or the point in only eating fruit; surely it would impact on school lunches, eating out, events and others times when food is eaten.

• I am just thinking of the health consequences, you need a balance diet to get all the nutrients your body needs. How does she get enough, calcium, iron, Vitamin D for starters.

• It would be interesting to do a blood test on her. i would have thought one would be lacking in so many nutrients.

• That’s a lot of fruit needed to feed a family. I don’t think I could be disciplined enough to manage this diet.

• Wow! I don’t know if I could cut that many foods out of my diet. I think is great that she has done that for herself but she should let her kids decide what they want to eat!

• It may sound healthy but is it really healthy for her fruit contains natural sugar but you look at things like teeth what are her teeth like a lot of acid in fruit I’m guessing enamel worn off teeth and what about the the other vitamins like iron , omgea etc that the doctor mentioned
    There must be some sort of side effects that you can’t see tiredness weakness

• Surprisingly some fruits do contain iron, some a lot more than others.
      I hate to think how much fruit sugar her childrens’ bodies need to cope with. If they refused to eat fruit would she starve them until they do. I would spend most of my time in the bathroom
      Basically she has gone from one extreme to the other with her diet.
      I wonder what her children use to clean their teeth.

• Good on you, Mum!

• I think it is fantastic, she looks so healthy, it does not seem like she eats enough but then if you are eating very nutritious foods then you may get enough. How can the doctors be against it if she is healthy?

• Have no idea why you would want to do this and there is no way you could be meeting your nutritional requirements.

• I must admit I am A little like mom176887. Seriously I find this a little hard to swallow.

• I couldn’t do this myself, too restrictive, but she looks pretty healthy. I thought with this type of diet she would have some health problems after 30 years but she doesn’t seem to. I guess if some animals can survive on just eating grass, or grain/seeds or fruit and vegetables we can too.

• Does not sound possible to me. The calories in the mentioned diet .. berries, mango, banana, avacado, orange, mangoes .. just wouldn’t be enough to sustain an adult over a few days, let alone 20 years. Something is wrong in what is being claimed here… plus it is very restrictive on protein and carbs, and many other vitamins and minerals…just wrong news.