Italian parents have been warned that sending their unvaccinated child to school could result in costly fines…

Italian schools will now require proof that a child is vaccinated before they will be allowed to attend class. In response to a measles outbreak, Italy has introduced new laws that could see parents fined up to $800 if they send their child to school without the required immunisations news.com.au reports.

Meeting Requirements

Italian parents will need to ensure that their child has received all of the vaccines included on the newly issued list or risk them being banned from school. Vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella, polio and chickenpox are all required, and children who are unvaccinated can be excluded from preschool and kindergarten, or their parents fined in the case of children ages 6-16. The Italian health minister Giulia Grillo said it is hoped that the new laws, based on scientific data, will reduce the prevalence of common, yet potentially dangerous, diseases. March 13 was set as the deadline for parents to get their child’s vaccines up to date, and Ms Grillo said those who failed to do so will feel the full effect of the law. “Now everyone has had time to catch up,” she said. “No vaccine, no school.”

giuliagrillo (1)

Strength In Numbers

Italy’s current vaccination rate sits at 80%, significantly below the World Health Organisation’s target of 95%, which is the point at which members of the community who can not be vaccinated are protected by ‘herd immunity’. There has been an unprecedented global rise in the number of parents choosing not to immunise their children, and in Australia, the anti-vax movement has gained traction. Byron Bay in northern NSW has one of the highest rates of unvaccinated children in the country, but all that is set to change with a new law taking effect last year, banning children who are not vaccinated from enrolling in preschool.

Non-vaccinating parents say that the NSW law won’t change their minds. “I have a set opinion on vaccinations and that’s not going to change,” mother Katharina Gorka told 7:30. “I don’t think it’s fair.”

Do you think the parents of unvaccinated children should be fined or banned from enrolling in schools? Share your thoughts in the comments.

• Yes I do!!
    These parents need to not only think about themselves but also their children and the children their children come on contact with.

• So they should be! We are now some the effects of not vaccinating. It’s not a matter of choice when they are putting others are risk

• There is no proof that unvaccinated kids carry disease there has never been the research.

• I agree. Why should other kids risk getting sick

• I agree with the banning idea. We live in a community/society, so we have to keep everyone safe.

• Yes. Ban them, fine them, make it clear they’re a danger to others.

• I’m for the banning too. It’s the only way to keep our kids safe.

• I am for the banning. Being fined but not banned from school wouldn’t be an option.

• If there is no legitimate reason why the child can’t be vaccinated. Then I completely support bans and fines

• I sometimes wonder if the parents who are against vaccinations have been vaccinated themselves. I agree with the stand Italy are making.

• The statistics on this question would indeed be worth knowing.

• When I was growing up with only had a few vaccines, now they are over 30!! And children are sicker with more cancers than when I grew up.

• No, I don’t think this is the way.

• They appear to have made the laws very clear and clearly the campaign is for everyone to be vaccinated.
    It would be interesting to read a follow up story on the results of the campaign.

• Wonderful. I’m off to Byron Bay for a holiday. I had no idea that it had such high percentages. I don’t think it is fair to others if there is no valid medical reasons why parents don’t vaccinate. This is a very contentious issue in my private life because I have a very dear friend who is anti and I am pro.

• I don’t think it’s fair that our children should have to endure a disease that can be prevented

• Best way to prevent sickness is by building up the natural immune system with lots of fresh wholefoods instead of packaged processed junk.

• Yes. They pose a major health concern to all students and staff .
    Good on Italy for making a stand on this.

• I think unvaccinated kids should 100% be banned from public schools.