Grandparents fear today’s children are doomed!

A majority of grandparents surveyed in The Australian Seniors Series: Raising Modern Australia believe children are doomed because of modern parenting styles, with 81 per cent fearing for the future happiness of their grandchildren.

The survey of 1000 grandparents also found nearly three in five believe parenting styles have become somewhat or considerably worse since they were raising children, shared Illawarra mercury.

More than half believe their grandchildren will be much less capable, self-sufficient, resilient, disciplined and have much less moral character.

“They also believe their grandchildren will be negatively impacted by the praise and reward-inspired culture that exists today,” the survey said.

The survey also found parents believe grandparents waved off concerns about dietary requirements and personal safety for children too easily.

When Lynette Honeysett was a child in the 1960s, discipline was swift and sometimes harsh.

“We got smacked with a wooden spoon if we were naughty, and it happened on a regular basis,” she said. “I can remember copping quite a few hidings.”

Ms Honeysett said she believed parents paid too much attention to their smartphones when they were with their children: “It’s a particular bugbear of mine. I say to Joel ‘Get off your phone’.”

She also said we need to avoid helicopter parenting.

“Let her run, fall over,” she said. “If she breaks an arm, she’s going to learn a lesson that way.”

However Dr Justin Coulson is concerned that the ongoing attitude of  “well I turned out okay“ is really not helping.

“We think we turned out okay because we don’t know how we might have turned out had things been different.

“Do you really think that being yelled at or hit with a wooden spoon is going to create better people? I don’t. My feeling is that more kindness will lead to so many improved outcomes for our children. There is so much pain in the world. Better parenting can reduce that pain.”

Share your comments below.

Shutterstock photo

• A balanced approach will always work best. Some kids are too molly coddled and some not given enough attention etc. It’s so hard to get it right in our busy lives today.

• There needs to a balance of both things. with so many things happening around, you cant just leave a child on his own. Need a mix of both treatments.

• The rules on child abuse may not be the same in all States. I remember my niece coming home from school repeating what her class had been told within a couple of weeks of starting school in Reception Class. You are not allowed to yell at the kids and even if you don’t use bad words it is verbal abuse. You almost can’t touch your kids. You can’t hold them to stop them doing something they shouldn’t you can’t stop them walking out the door and going wherever they choose. When they get into trouble the first question you hear is “where are the parents. Some don’t care, you’ve got no power to stop them. Spme kids you can explain the reason several times but they will do what they want to anyway. They were also told that if they didn’t want to do what their parents ask them to do they don’t have to “kids have rights” Some kids are smart, parents are adults, so are teachers. Some reckoned they didn’t have to obey the teachers either. They wondered why the kids suddenly decided to muck around in class as far as the teachers were concerned.

• I so believe this statement and action should not be used “Let her run, fall over,” she said. “If she breaks an arm, she’s going to learn a lesson that way.” Yes I do not agree with the helicopter parenting thing but at times care should be taken. It is a known fact that breaks and injuries to bones causes arthritis to set in in later life.

• I am a bit on the fence about this one because I see some very valid points from both sides. I got smacked as a child and because of that, my automatic reaction was to smack my child and I hate it and am essentially having to train myself out of that because I was brought up in that environment. I also think that grandparents have a valid point about parents being on their phones too much these days and i see it all the time, kids trying to get their parents attention at the playground and being ignored because social media is more important. I think we has gone from one extreme to the other and we should be finding a balance of the two.

• I know kids who say they don’t bother to try to talk to their Mum becuase she is always on her phone – on facebook, playing games or checking emails. The Mum says the kids don’t talk to her about things. The kids take their grandparents or other close relatives into their confidence instead. How many children are taught to be polite and show respect to others – adults or other children?. How many parents teach their children to say please and thank you, yet never say please to their children? A lot from what I’ve observed in some families.

• I’ve 2 girls in care who have been brought up where hitting with the belt is a normal form of discipline. This was normal years ago, but not in this time. These girls have severe problems.
    Don’t get me wrong I do agree that it’s good to be consequent and also that there’s no need to helicopter parent, building resilience, moral and character. But we can do so in a loving and carinfg way.

• Every generation has their own opinion.

• Only time will tell.

• I really can’t stand when people say that there was no harm in something and they turned out fine. In particular if applied to smacking kids!! No. If people are allowed to smack kids, why is there so much outrage when a husband hits his wife? It’s exactly the same thing!!!
    That nowadays too many parents just look at their phones instead of communicating with their kids is another thing. And, sadly, very true.

• I agree with the grandparents in the survey.

• It is because of how they were bought up compared to taday.

• I agree. The parenting I received was of a much lower standard tan I try o offer my kds.