Currently, I have a seven year-old daughter and five year-old son. They love most fruits and vegetables, which sometimes surprises other parents.

In most cases, kids take to a handful of fruits with ease, but vegetables of any sort can prove challenging.

I avoided this situation, for the most part, by planting a garden and my children helped with this family project from the beginning.

When my kids were five and three respectively, we started a family garden in the backyard.

Of course, my son couldn’t do that much because he was so young. I’d carry him and let him plant seeds in our little garden area, though. My daughter took care of watering the plants. However, I handled more complicated garden maintenance.

I attempted to let the kids handle most of the work as time went on and sat back in more of a mentoring role.

Two years of gardening: Looking at the results

Gardening helped my kids and I bond together for at least an hour each day.

I was able to teach my children how to grow their own food. At some point, I managed to show them how important vegetables and fruits are for their bodies.

My two children learned how to be patient and wait for their labour to turn into edible foods. Our garden even taught them how to solve (gardening) problems and take a delicate approach to things. Also, the whole endeavor made our family closer than ever.

My advice for other parents

In my opinion, the benefits of gardening with your children speak for themselves.

You shouldn’t jump into this endeavor without some planning, though. It’s important to make everything fun for the children.

Therefore, you should let your children handle most of the work. Feel free to join your kids, but make the garden about them and what they want to do with it. Don’t hesitate to let them pick the fruits or vegetables and be sure to educate them along the way.

Children are just like us, they don’t like failing. As a parent, you should help make sure the garden succeeds. If your children miss on some garden maintenance, then you’ll want to take care of it.

Then again, a failed garden can serve as a valuable lesson to show children that failure doesn’t mean the end of the world. Always give your children a taste of the end product by encouraging them to eat the fruits or vegetables they’ve grown with their own hands!

A family tradition I intend to maintain

Our family has spent over two years with our backyard garden. For now, I don’t plan on stopping this tradition, and I doubt I’ll put an end to the garden.

My children love gardening after school each day and they still love their fruits and vegetables.

The original plan was to maintain a small garden to save money. From there, it turned into a family bonding experience that we cherish. It’s rare that one of us misses our daily time tending to our plots.

I recommend that all parents build a garden with their children because I can’t think of anything that’s more rewarding.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com

• Its a really good read. It is important.

• it is really kool reading these

• i agree, thanks mandi for the awesome idea, fab to get the kids into

• Making a garden is a great way to show kids where their food comes from. They learn to appreciate their food and have a better relationship with nature as well as spending time outdoors.

• looking very great

• looking nice

• love this idea! Just hope i will be able to maintain it haha.

• it s great

• Best intentions to do this with my kids but going back to work part time meant it all fell by the wayside a bit. Need to get back into the garden and do some weeding so we can plant some more seeds.

• Unless your little ones know the difference between weeds and what you are trying to grow, if they start weeding on their own you may very well have no garden. Been down that track. Their Dad didn’t have any idea either.

• My kids and i have a strawberry patch and their favorite part of going outside is checking for new strawberries and eating something they have grown themselves. its a great early biology lesson about plant life and how they survive.

• I love having veges in the garden we’ve done corn, capsicum, carrots, brocolli, bok choy, celery and strawberries.

• I loved raiding dad’s veggie garden for peas and radishes as a kid, lol.

• Gardening with your children is a habit they carry with them throughout their life. My children gardened with me when young and now as adults share the same love of gardening with their children.

• This is great outdoor interaction and when you harvest your goodies, when taken indoors makes greater interaction cooking them for dinner.

• I always get my children involved in gardening with me. They have their vegie gardens to look after. Teaching them to grow their own vegies is a great way to get them to realise where the vegetables at the supermarket come from.

• It’s great for children to not only have a connection to their world but also their food. Thank you.