What are MoMs views on Kellogg’s and Sanitarium ditching halal certification for their products? What do you think of halal certification in general?

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • I think its a consumer’s right to have products in market according to their need. If someone requires product as Halal certified, please understand its their basic human right. When you care enough about products that need a vegetarian or vegan label, because certain people need it then you should also care about people who want Halal certified products. You can’t deprive someone off their basic human right. Saying it as you dont need to do it for a handful of people is extremely arrogant and ignorant and against your preachings of equal rights and humanity.

  • Seems like a some of you need to do more research before commenting. Those of you who say you couldn’t care less, it doesn’t affect me…….how wrong you are! The companies who pay this exhorbitant tax obviously have to cover costs. Hoe do you think they do that? By upping the prices of their products. Sure, there has been a government body look into where this money actually goes, they found it doesn’t support terrorism. But how can they be certain? If it’s funding terrorism, don’t you think the financial information proving this would be well hidden? As for the meat that gets halal certification, do you know the cruel way these animals are killed to qualify as halal? It’s inhumane! I think halal certification should be stopped until there is proof of exactly where it’s going and until they can find a more humane way to kill animals so they’re halal certified. Muslims account for a mere 2% of the Australian population, why should the other 98% have religious beliefs forced upon them? There are so many products that are halal certified, so many companies supporting it, non Muslims have NO choice. Australia is known for its freedoms, so we can age choices, it shouldn’t be taken away from us.

  • It really doesnt bother me.. It would not make me want to purchase or not purchase a product either way.. As far as i see its just a sales tool to help people of other beliefs know it safe for them to eat.. As we are all equals in this world it should not matter if it does not affect us ….

  • Halal certification is a rort and why have the big companies fallen in with this garbage. No other religion requires it and we are an Christian nation with heaps of Buddhists, Jews, Hindus etc – none of them get companies to pay them for ensuring that their products are acceptable for their religion.

  • To be honest I do not know enough about it to give an opinion – will look into it and research it.

  • I honestly could not care less if a product is halal certified or not. It doesn’t affect me either way.

  • I found an investing article that states, “Dr Ismail says these products appeal to Australian Muslims who rigidly observe halal, but halal certification also benefits the food industry because it increases trade exports, particularly to the Middle East and South East Asia.” (http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck/2015-04-14/fact-file-what-is-halal-food/6383242) It would appear it benefits both company and consumer, locally and internationally. It must be saving a great deal of money in the processing, I can’t think of any other reason to do it.

  • I’m sick of seeing posts from people complaining about something they obviously have not researched or understood. It makes no difference to me personally.

  • I’ve never been interested in halal certifications, so I think it’s a good move.

Post your reply

To post a review/comment please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating