I’m taking the kids interstate on a holiday for the weekend, leaving the Friday afternoon and returning on the Sunday afternoon. He has had less than 7% care since the kids have been born. Do I need his written permission?

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • I would let him know you’re not asking permission, you are just giving him a curtsey so he knows where his kids are. It also depends on if you have court orders etc.

  • No, of course you don’t. It’s only a couple of days.

  • I always thought permission was needed for interstate trips with the kids

  • I don’t think you need written permission, but I would just share verbally that you’re going on a weekend holiday (the same way you would do this with friends).

  • I dont think you do need permission especially if it is your time with the kids and there is nothing stated in a parental agreement. I know you do if you go overseas

  • If he only has 7% input, it sounds like you don’t communicate much?? It’s only for the weekend, certainly doesn’t need written permission. If you’re in regular contact though, it would be nice to let him know you’re going

  • to my l knowledge only if you are taking them out of the state/country

  • My brother sees his son every second weekend and then returns him to his mother on the Sunday evening . Basically it doesn’t matter where he takes him as long as it falls on that weekend . How do you work out the 7% , it must be very confusing for both of you with that type of condition .

  • it is a good idea to advise them what is happening particularly if there are court documents involved. ring child services to get a definitive answer.

  • I guess it would depend on the court agreement?

  • You will have to check your visitation rights papers. I can’t see a problem with it, it’s only a weekend, you could probably have it done and dusted before sad even found out! But I wouldn’t want to get you in trouble

  • I wOuld give them a month notice in writing. If you take them away he might assume you have left with the children. Ive known courts to give them to the other partner

  • If you have a contact agreement (court) then follow that.

  • it should be on court order. id want to know

  • Just let him know your plans. Verbally hed tell you if he protested. Mention it nicely. If it’s not out of state you don’t have to, but if. It’s his weekend you can’t just do it.

  • depending on if you have a court agreement, it may restrict interstate travel, but definitely need permission to travel overseas, check any agreements if you think that he will cause problems, it is best if you can discuss with him and tell him what you intend to do as it is nicer for the children if they can share the excitement with the other parent. but this is not always possible unfortunately.

  • What is written into your parenting agreement ? if it states you need his written permission you need to get it, if nothing is written in to your parenting agreement, check with the Family Law Court in your state.

  • I wouldn’t have thought so. If you are in contact then it’s probably nice to tell him but if not I wouldn’t worry.

  • It depends if there is a court order. If his 7% in on that weekend it may be a problem. I guess if it does fall on his time with the children, depending on your relationship as parents, you may discuss changing that time with him and swap a weekend?? If it is not on is 7% and there is no court order you don’t need written permission when it is within Australia.

  • Not unless there is a court order in place specifying that you cant take the kids out of the state. Have fun on your trip!

Post your reply

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating