My daughter is 8yrs old and had her first attack a few weeks back and scared the crap out of me, she had troubles breathing and we ended up getting an ambulance, she doesn’t like leaving the house.

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • This really needs to be addressed by a doctor. You should also find out if anything has happened lately that might have caused your child to have a panic attack so young. There is always a reason behind a child not wanting to leave their house. love to all Lyn

  • I\\\’ve had a few of these. I tend to find a quiet place and close my eyes and just focus on slow breathing.

  • I suffer these myself. It must be so frightening for her. Deep breathing is extremely important as is support for her. I would suggest perhaps she see a doctor or even psychologist to determine any underlying issues she may be experience at school etc. I hope she will be ok xo

  • First of all I think it’s very important to stay calm yourself during an attack. Speak in a slow calm and low voice and focus on breathing (in and out !). Belly breathing helps to relax. In the case of hyperventilation it can help to breath in a paper bag: Take 6 to 12 easy, natural breaths, with a small paper bag held over your mouth and nose. Then remove the bag from your nose and mouth and take easy, natural breaths. Next, try belly-breathing (diaphragmatic breathing).
    Alternate these techniques until your hyperventilation stops. When it takes longer then 30 minutes, call the GP immediately.
    In general make sure to spend quality time with your daughter and be open to anything she wants to tell you and listen carefully to what she shares. I would certainly chat with the teacher at school and with the GP as well to see if counseling / therapy is needed.

  • I’d speak to GP to get advice about how to proceed and also the school should probably know that there is a situation so that they can help/support her should it happen while she is there. Perhaps the school also have some advice / counsellor who can help shed light on what to do and how to manage this.

  • I had to take my 7 year old son to a psychologist for anxiety, sometimes it’s genetic. My mother in law, and my husband are both anxious by nature. Whilst he didn’t suffer from panic attacks, he would worry about the most absurd things, like if he had to stand up at school and someone else had the exact same name (noone at his school as the same name) and he didn’t know if they were talking about him, or the other person. The psychologist definitely said to concentrate on breathing, as this distracts from the panic and it’s also important to not panic yourself, as being calm will make them more calm. Telling them well ahead of time what is going to happen during the week, (places you might go, or appointments you might have) also helps because they have time to get use to it. Good Luck! It’s hard work, but hopefully she will get there.

  • Yes start with GP.
    Wishing little poppet all the very best. <3

  • Definitely go see a doctor and get it sorted out as soon as possible. Hope all ends well xx

  • I’m so sorry to hear that your 8 year old daughter is going through this. First stop should be your GP and hopefully after a good long chat about things with your daughter, they would be able to offer you the opportunity to visit a good psychologist. Don’t be put off by titles or anything, the main thing is your daughter and getting her the correct help. Don’t give up either and if you don’t think the psychologist is helping ask for a referral to another one. It has to be the right one that your daughter will connect with and get to the bottom of what is causing this. Oh and lots of cuddles can’t hurt either. Good luck.

  • I’m sorry your daughter is experiencing this, panic attacks are awful. Will she talk to you? Is there something going on at school? Your GP would be able to refer you to some services to help.
    When I have a panic attack I like to be cuddled tightly. Obviously what works for everyone is going to be different. Good luck.

  • This looks scary. As first thing I would advice you to go to your GP. I am sure he/she will be able to give you information about the best way to proceed.

Post your reply

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating