my 10yr old has been diagnosed for ADD dyslexia dysgraphi dyscalculia and possible autism. he is 2 points over from getting any school funding so basically he has no support. those whos children have got those learning difficulties, what have you done to get your child some support of some sort even though theres no funding? ive used up my savings to get my son assessed, tutoring twice a week, a laptop, appointments visit and now im going to my son’s school to help him out because the school has no funding or is willing to help out. i could take him out to another school, but because of hes emotional self esteem issues, he has found his ground of friends this year and hes happy. therefore im letting him stay at school but he has this year and next year to finish primary school. im losing my mind as ive just put my job on hold to go and support my son. what can i do?

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • How is your son going now ? Have you found the school more willing to give support ?

  • I dont have any answers for you – but just want to say you are an amazing mum, you have done so much to help your child! i hope the system doesnt keep letting you down!

  • You are terrific doing everything you can for your child. You are doing the right thing by not moving him from his school and friends, this move can sometimes destroy children. How he gets on with his teacher is important. I presume you have spoken to his teacher and principal and have their support? I presume you have asked your doctor for help? The tutor idea is excellent as he is going to need that in high school. If you want to go back to work, any chance of getting friends to help at school, or a relative? I had a boy with a few problems but I was lucky that between myself and some really good teachers we got thru okay. Hang in there I am sure it will all work out for you, such a good strong mum. love to all Lyn

  • I suppose it would cost money but would another GP/doctor assess differently and perhaps give him those points needed for some support at school? If the avenues others have suggested don’t work out perhaps you could write to your mp to highlight the situation (it doesn’t sound right that your job has to be put on hold just to go to school to help your son). Also are you eligible for carer’s allowance or help from Centrelink?

  • Try talking with your GP they may be able to advice on some funding you may be eligible for. Also recommend giving NDIS a call.

  • Did you approach the school counselor of your sons school ? Surely every child who needs extra support (whether it is funded or not) should get it, especially since your son has a specific identified condition ! See if you can get the professionals who see your son (pediatrician. psychologist, psychiatrist or anyone working with your son) behind you and approach the Department of education.

  • Have you approached the NDIS to see if he’s eligible? Plus, Ud put him on the waiting list for every government funded service in the area?

Post your reply

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating