So I’m a single mum with twins. The last month money has been so tight due to rent and paying bills.
Im trying my first ever budget meals for the fortnight and hopefully we have no issues with it. Where am I able to get some extra support with groceries. I don’t normally ask for help but at times like this I need to. I can’t even afford to put my two daughters into day care one day a week to be around other children. I just feel like giving up. I have no family support and have done all on my own. It’s all finally catching up to me.
I don’t have luxuries I have the bare essentials. Thank you.

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • I see this is an old question and hope you were able to get the support you need these years !

  • Most charities have some grocery assistance (eg Communities at Work, Salvos). You could also look up Foodbank and see if they’re in your local area – groceries are their mission.

  • Adra is a church group run through some councils if you’re in Melbourne. Playgroups are also free for mixing with others kids

  • Play groups are free if you want your kids to mix with other kids. The Salvation Army help out with bags of groceries for you as well as gift cards for supermarkets. Centrelink also have social workers to help out with the grocery side of life

  • I know the Salvation Army give out food vouchers. And if you go to centrelink and see one if their socail workers, they’ll be able to help too. Good luck

  • Ask local charities and Ozharvest for help with food and necessities. Hang in there and all the best.

  • Uniting care or Salvation Army may be able to point you in the right direction. Centrelink might also be able to help out.

  • How did you go with this?

  • Hopefully you’ve found some help by now. If not, Communities at Work, the Salvos, and St Vinnies are ll national organisations that provide this kind of help.

  • I’m assuming as you are a single mum you would be receiving a Centrelink payment? If so, you should have access to free childcare. Centrelink also have social workers you can talk to that will help with food vouchers etc. Our local council help out by paying essential bills, buying wood, providing food vouchers etc. Then there’s places like Salvation Army etc they’re really good, they provide a shoulder to lean on too

  • Are you receiving a Centrelink payment? If you are, go in and see them and ask to see one of their social workers. They have given us food vouchers before. Other great places to visit are charities, such as City Mission, Red Shield and the Salvos are absolutely fantastic. Don’t give up, your kids need you, you’re doing your best….you’ll get through it

  • I hope you have found some help through the organisations listed below by others MOM members. We have Anglicare here in Tassie that can help (not sure if anywhere else?) and Centrelink would be worth talking to in case there are benefits you are entitled to and not receiving – and they can arrange lump-sum advance payments you pay back.

  • Yes I can also suggest the Salvos, Red Cross and uniting care!

  • i hope that i was helpful to you and you are doing ok

  • You can call Lifeline for (tel: 131114) emotional support. They listen to all sorts of problems not just suicidal YA. You could try the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Post your reply
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating