My partner has been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder (not the identity one, but a mix of the other two). His perception of reality sometimes warps which can lead him to do odd things or think differently. For example, once he was convinced I was trying to poison him, making him act really distrustful towards me.
When he snaps out of it he just says everything is fine as if he has little memory of it. But it still affects me negatively.

Does anyone else have someone close with dissociative disorders? If so, how to you cope with it?

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • This sounds awful for both of you, sorry to hear. Perhaps a psychologist can support you both. Try googling find a psychologist and use the link to the australian psychology association

  • Must be awful. I hope you manage to find a support group to help out

  • Have you been able to discuss this with any of his family at all? They may be helpful or may not. Maybe see if you can get professional help for him first? Has he actually been professionally diagnosed? it could also be a type of epilepsy or other neurological problem. Some have some very weird types and actions with epilepsy. There is now many different types recognised. Epilepsy has a high ratio of people who have not been properly diagnosed or even been tested for it. A lot don’t fall or lose consciousness. One major problem is some people think that they are drunk or have taken drug

  • I havent had experience but perhaps seek a professional to see if it can be managed

  • When your husband is officially diagnosed then I assume he receives treatment as well ? I think it would be good for him to receive therapy and for you to receive support as well which may be in the form of family therapy, counseling, support groups.

  • if you do a google search for dissociative disorder Australia – there are a few organisations that come up that you should be able to talk to that could provide support groups or just one on one support.


    I wish you and your partner all the best

  • Can’t help you but please look for some facebook support group.

  • Oh this would be so hard to live with! While he has no memory of it, you remember every harsh word, criticism and accusation. Maybe your gp could help with suggestions for support?

  • Hi
    Maybe try the following websites to get information and see if they offer support groups. These are based in Australia.




    just copy these and paste them into google and they should take you to the sites

    Wishing you and your partner all the best

  • no sorry. I wish you and your partner all the best. I did a quick google search and came up with the following: (hopefully they are a start in the right direction for you and your partner to get some support) – good luck




    Hope these help :)

  • I don’t know anyone with this so sorry can’t help, but wondered is there an online support for family and friends?

Post your reply
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating