28 Answers

My son is 7 years old and I’ve noticed the signs for a while that he might have ADHD. We’ve changed schools a couple of times and each time I’ve been taken aside and talked to about his behaviour. I feel under an enormous amount of pressure to make this right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated to help us cope as a family and help my son.

Posted anonymously, 15th April 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Hi there, I see this is an old question. How have you been going ?
    I too would go to the GP for a referral to a Pediatrician with experience in this area.

  • I would talk to your doctor first. My speech pathologist thinks my daughter has Adhd, but my daughter is not aggressive. She just can’t sit still. She wants me to fill out some behaviour questions. But if she does have Adhd and it effects her education I would much rather give her meds to help. Otherwise I think she would have far greater problems in later life.

  • My sister in law had this trouble with her son. He was extremely disruptive at school and on the school bus with his aggressive behaviour. The school got him to see a professional and he wanted to put him on meds. My sister in law refused, his bad behaviour continued through out school. She didn’t want to drug him but also wasn’t prepared to try alternative options, such as diet changes and certain exercises. He has grown into an angry, destructive young man as a result

  • I relate totally ,were Carers of grandson ,he’s very active & uncontrolable .Im seeing C.A.mP.s to try ,different ways to deal with his behaviours .this may help too .

  • if your worried get him tested or at least get a referral to a specialist but don’t worry so much about labeling your son. some people see things in kids behavior that isnt there. only take notice if its a specialist saying so.

  • the online test sounds like a good start and maybe seeing a doctor for referrals

  • he might just be having trouble settling in, it is traumatic to move a child when they are in school especially if it has happened a few times

  • My sister is a special ed teacher and has mentioned to me in the past that there are online tests you can do before seeking further help. Try googling ADHD online test and run through some of the questions and see what response you get from those.

  • have you had him tested, i think a doctor can point you in the right direction

  • Have you had him assessed? That is the first step, once this is confirmed then there are a lot of support groups who can help. Try this first

  • Just wondering yummymum did you take action against that school for hitting your son I’m the face? That is an absolutely disgraceful action on behalf of that teacher and I hope they were disciplined appropriately.

  • I have 3 violent ADHD kids at the end of the day no amount of doctors can help I’ve had child protection in my life for a good part of 5 years due to schools and other people not understanding them medications can only help for so long my eldest is now 14 and refuses to take medications and the same with my 13 year old my 5 year old is nt medicated and to be honest it does nt get easier it gets harder as they get old older you can not learn from text books or brochures they are base every child the same and not one ADHD child is the same my thoughts are with you and your family it is hard and not many people understand what it is really like unless they have ADHD or deal with someone that has it

  • I would see the doctor and see what services he can recommend to make this less stressful for all

  • hi there. my son was diagnosed at an early age even as a baby he uses to bang his head on the floor quite hard at times so i took him see a specialist who done some special test .just a bit of important info don’t just go to your local Dr because they are not equipped to make a diagnosis. All the best and good luck.

  • If you are worried go and see a doctor and get referred to a specialist. There are a lot of children who are diagnosed by GP’s who don’t actually have it. Another option is to see a really good Natropath. People underestimate the chemical effect foods can have on the brain. Good luck.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating