4 Answers

any advice or comments would be great such as shoes , home treatments etc. Thank You

Posted anonymously, 20th November 2016

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Yes I have Bunions also and they can be very painful a Dr did suggest that I have a operation but I keep putting it off

  • Ultimately the only way to “cure” bunions and hammertoes is by surgery which can either be done by an orthopaedic surgeon or a podiatric surgon. To see an orthopaedic surgeon you will need a referral from a GP; you don’t need a referral to see a podiatric surgeon. If the procedure is done correctly, pain, scarring and recovery time are minimal.

    For a non surgical option, extra depth and extra width footwear can accommodate the deformities and reduce pain and discomfort. These shoes are available from specialist shoe stores. Custom orthotics made by a podiatrist can help slow further progression of the toe deformities and are sometimes also needed post operatively.

  • My brother had them. Pretty sure he had an operation to fix his bunion

  • Yes. It is genetic. All my life have worn good wide fitting shoes. It gets more painful with age. Arthritis cream can help since it is an inflamed joint. I tried one of those toe-straightners (a small sort of brace that you can find on ebay) but it hasn’t helped at all. Was thinking of asking doctor about it one day, although not sure if surgery etc. is an option personally even if it was recommended.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating