30 Answers

I don’t want my ex to have to pay child support, we would rather make our own agreement. Are we able to do this? Will it affect my Centrelink payments?
What alternatives are there?

Posted by Peace.Love.Empathy., 29th July 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • You can have your own agreement, but if one chooses to not follow it at some stage for whatever reason, then you could run into trouble. I think also if you claim sole parent from Centrelink, they may insist on money being paid through government channels

  • I think you can agree to your own terms, but I think the child support agency needs to be informed of this, especially as you are receiving Centrelink money. Both are government agencies and they share information with each other, as well as the tax office.

  • You can have a private agreement, but if they decide not to pay or help out , then you have to chase it up yourself

  • I know of one Dad who prior to Child Support Agency who as part of a mutual agreement paid for their childrens’ school fees, uniforms, excursions, sports and other after shool hours activities. If the children needed extra uniforms beucase they had outgrown them or needed replacing for any other reason the Mum only had to contact him and he paid for them. He also paid her a small amount in cash for food.

  • My brother pays child support for my nephew ( his son ) and I think it is the law in this country . Probably best to ring the Child Support Agency in your state and see what they say .

  • I believe that you can come to your own agreement, but you have to tell the CSA that he’s provided appropriate support. Maybe ask the CSA?

  • It would make life easier for everyone if you could work it out for yourselves. If you can enter into an agreement that doesn’t involve money, that’s good for you too. Sometimes, it doesn’t go to plan though

  • I got told that they can supply things e.g. clothes, nappies, necessities and as long as they keep the receipts, did you end up finding out though?

  • I would suggest you get some professional advice regarding payments.

  • Not really, refer to Human Services website, basically there is a requirement to have an agreement or you are not entitled to family tax benefit, how you collect the maintenance is up to you whether you use the child support agency or collect privately, but you need to have an assessment done thru the child support agency who are managed by Human Services. Also things change over time and what you agree to today you may regret in a couple of years.

  • just let them know if you have agreement and roughly what that entails, 2 packs of nappies and a formula every fortnight and he pays all school expenses etc

  • What a refreshing attitude you have. My brother and his ex wife came to their own agreement so I do know it can be done. Maybe Legal Aid could be a good starting point. Good luck to you and your ex.

  • You can definitely have a private agreement, but you do have to declare it. Organisations like Relationships Australia can help you put together a Parenting Agreement. Or you can put one together yourselves. I think there may even be templates on Legal Aid websites.

  • You need to check, as I think you can make a financial agreement, but as long as your ex doesn’t try to claim anything through centrelink

  • Yes, say you have a private arrangement and all should be good.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating