144 Answers

How can I visit my children? – What should I do. I have 2 children who live interstate and just got told by father he won’t pay half of airfares (on holidays the only time I get the children now) because he pays for everything. I help when I can and if I know about it. I can’t help if he doesn’t tell me. He told me he saw a solicitor and that I have to pay full cost but cannot afford it at all, all my spare money goes to the airfares coming to visit. I’m not sure what I should do please any advice will help and I cannot afford to see a solicitor of my own but am trying to.

Posted by anon, 20/10/13

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Any chance you could move closer to avoid required air travel for visits? Hard to move I know, but your kids should be your priority

  • Did you go to legal aid? I found a free legal advice phone line not long ago, it’s free, just the cost of a local call. But they only offer advice, anymore then that and you’re paying ALOT

  • Isn’t it disgraceful how people can do the wrong thing and get away with it all because you can’t afford a lawyer to get the right thing done! I hope you sorted your cash flow problem and get to see your kids

  • Legal Aid will represent you for free, that’s what they’re there for.
    I hope an arrangement can be made so you can start seeing your children who I’m sure miss you very much!
    Hopefully you & your ex can work on your communication & form some kind of friendship for the sake of your children.
    It is not right for 1 parent to stop another seeing their children.
    My heart goes out to you.

  • What a terribly horrid situation to be in! I hope this has since been sorted and you are once again seeing your kids

  • I hope you managed to get things sorted out so that you can see your children. It is so hard when they live far away and they should be able to at least have the opportunity to see both their parents.

  • Call legal aid and ask for advice

  • There are organisations like salvos that can help with budgeting, counselling and referrals so I’d suggest approach them for some assistance. Possibly family could assist? I’d keep away from personal loans and any of those quick small loan places that are advertised as you often end up repaying double. I guess moving is something you might need to consider ifmyou want to see your children more. It does sound like your ex is trying to make it difficult for you but then again in situations where one parent has access, the other pays to see them either by driving to pick them up or paying taxi fares etc it’s just unfortunate they are interstate. If you know in advance when you will have access you could shop around for cheap deals. Even very young children can fly without an adult accompanying them.

  • You poor thing! :( I would have sworn that hey should have to pay half. X best of luck.

  • I am so sorry to hear that I really hope you are able to find a way though

  • I’m sorry I don’t so much have advice, but I do hope you get to see your kids :)

  • I really think it would be worthwhile saving up and seeking legal advice.

  • Without a solicitor or legal aid, there isn’t much you can do if your not paying your legal obligation of child support.

  • seek legal aid, good luck

  • maybe you need to think of moving closer if that is possible.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating