26 Answers

Have your kids ever stuck anything up their nose or into ears that was difficult to get out? I was talking with other mums recently and apparently it’s relatively common. If yes, did you need to attend emergency? Mine didn’t, and is too old to do so now, but as I’m often around younger ones, I was interested to know how common this kind of thing is.

Posted anonymously, 25th November 2015

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • My daughter did swallow a button from one of her cardigans, but fortunately nothing up her nose or in her ears.

  • Fortunately this has never happened to me.

  • No thank goodness. Worst thing they put in their ear or up theirs nose was their fingers

  • One of my friend’s from school is an intern and said that it is SUPER common for kids to turn up in emergency with things in their nose and ears. I think they can’t help themselves!!

  • wow it is so scary that kids do things like this hey! curiousity!

  • My kids have tried to put playdough up their noses and in their ears, luckily for me i was able to get it out easily. But one of my friends kids shoved one of thoose little batteries up his nose and even though it was out within hours he has had on going complications due to it.

  • :-)

  • OMG this post reminds me of sitting around the kitchen table at dinner time and suddenly my 3 year old shoved a pea up her nose!! Although I can giggle now, it was terrifying at the time. I told her to hold/block the nostril that was pea-less and pretend she was blowing her nose…..it came shooting out (thank goodness) so we didn’t need a trip to the doctors or hospital. Aaaaah the joys of little children. Bless xx

  • Nope never happened to me yet, I do still have a 1 year old

  • I think it’s pretty common for kids to put things in their mouths, ears and noses. my kids have never had them stuck but its been close a couple of times. they do say if it can’t be easily removed take them to Emergency otherwise you can cause more harm than good.

  • Apparently it is quite common. I think it is a curiosity thing with kids. As far as I am aware I don’t think any of my kids did.

  • It is fairly common and emergency rooms have seen a number of items up noses and in ears.

  • Had to take my son to emergency three times for putting thing up his nose and in his ears

  • Just been out with friends and been told sultanas are easy for kids to get into noses, but then the sultanas swell and get stuck!!!

  • I think it is very common. We had toys (you wouldn’t believe they would fit). Food (luckily soft & smooshy) and the very best of all a peanut. This is the one you never attempt to extract yourself. First doctor or emergency centre you can get to. If you try to retrieve it & you are lucky it will be pushed up a bit further. If you are unlucky you can actually end up without a child – so don’t play around just get in the car & go. One of mine was also fantastic at swallowing things. Most of them we just checked for daily-great fun but once he managed an open safety pin from his brothers nappy. Yep the whole thing & that meant surgery as the X-Ray showed it could do enormous damage on the way through or of course lodge somewhere dangerous. Your child is normal and hopefully you will still be by the time he or she stops this wonderful habit. Never take it lightly remember even those tiny batteries are killers. I guarantee one day you will laugh about this but it might not be for a few years. Good luck you are not alone.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating