13 Answers

My child suffered a head injury a few years ago, and she broke her eye socket. This resulted in a small piece of bone floating behind her eye socket and in front of her brain
However recently, we have noticed that she is mumbling her words, to the point of not being able to understand her.
Would this be something to see her GP about or just play it by ear and see if it gets worse?
Also, her school has contacted me in regards to her speech saying they think she needs speech therapy. She is in high school.

Posted anonymously, 24th March 2021

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Do hope all has been sorted by your doctor and the referrals you would have been given by now. Please let us know how your daughter is faring. Thanks for your question.

  • After her injury, has your daughter remained under the control of a neurospecialist ?

  • Absolutely see the GP and get a referral for a scan ! This is serious.

  • I would definitely be going to your GP straight away who I’ve no doubt will quickly refer you to specialists. No time to waste.

  • Definitely get her checked out asap. You can’t be sure that piece of bone hasn’t moved and is causing the trouble or if there is another cause. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Wish you all the best and hopefully it’s something very minor for your girl.

  • Yes I’d be taking your daughter to a GP immediately. Any change in speech is a worry, but to the point where family can’t understand her – it could be anything. Definitely needs looking into & more so considering her past injury.

  • Yes most definitely see a G.P. right away and get their advice, then take it from there.

  • I agree with everyone else, go back to the Doctor and ask for a referral. Any change to her speech at her age should be checked, but considering her previous accident it warrants checking out. The specialist will definitely pinpoint what is going on. Wishing you and your daughter the best of luck ♥

  • I would for sure be taking her to a doctor, even just to be on the safe side, they will likely send her for an MRI and have a look at her skull and make sure the bone hasn’t lodged anywhere. Wishing you all the best!

  • Yes, take her to a GP immediately and ask them to refer her for a scan.

  • I would go and see gp. Good luck

  • I would seek medical advice quite urgently. This could be an early sign of worse complications.

  • I am so sorry to hear this maybe go back to see your GP and ask to see a Specialist Neurologist hope everything goes well

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating