8 Answers

My daughter’s left foot turns in as she walks, I’d like to get this corrected before it starts to cause any problems. Any advise would be appreciated.

Posted by IrishMammy, 10th February 2015

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • Yes I would suggest to ask this question to your PG or at the health nurse check, they’ll give a referral when needed.

  • Pop into a trusty GP first and they will recommend a podiatrat ( foot specialist ) if needed . I have a bunion so I have to take care with mine too .

  • I would go to a podiatrist for advice as I would think they would suggest orthotics so her foot can’t go out of correct balance. My daughter had a similar problem and I was not aware of how to deal with it and was constantly buying her new shoes as she walked the down so quickly. Good luck with this.

  • How old is your daughter? A lot of children’s problems are often outgrown. My son was born breech and as a result, both his feet turned out. Once he started walking and moving around, they turned the right way

  • You shouldn’t be put off by a Dr. saying don’t worry about it yet. You didn’t mention how long your little one has been walking. If she has only… just… started walking it could also be a balance problem which could fix itself within a month, no longer. Our 8 year old was doing this and she was taken to a podiatrist. Unfortunately it wasn’t picked up as quick as it might have been because it was Winter. With long pants on it wasn’t as obvious. She is flatfooted and wears an insert in her shoes all the time. The problem has improved markedly. Alernatively if you don’t any satisfaction from your GP try a paediatrician who should be able tell you who best to take her to. One a different problem lady I know had a baby who from birth she and her husband were told their baby would never be able to hold her head up, sit up etc. They took her to a Chiropractor when she was about a month old. After a few months gentle treatment she could hold her head up, she sat up later than normal but now at normal stage she is running around like any child her age. Her only problem now is she has severe food allergies.

  • Thanks Ladies :)

  • I would be going to the gp, get a referral to a specialist, it may be a podiatrist, but they deal with feet mainly, they will want to work out why she has a turned in foot, it may be something as simple as physio will sort it out, they may refer her to an orthopaedic surgeon, ask for a referral to the local childrens hospital because they deal with these things all the time and would know the best way to treat it, some kids grow out of these things others need surgery but the earlier you know your options the better, and if the gp says wait, go to another one you can never get to many opinions when it comes to the health of your child and something that is obvious can have a huge impact on a childs self confidence from a young age, good luck

  • I would recommend seeing your GP or even a podiatrist. If caught early enough, it can be corrected.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating