18 Answers

My daughter is 14 years old and is hopefully going to Thailand next year but we have hit a snag, her father won’t sign the paper work, and now we have to try and get around it with more paperwork. My question is has anyone else had this problem? Did you get approved without the 2nd signature, because I’ve been told it’s not guaranteed she will be approved……so upset for her she really wants to travel. I have full custody and he hasn’t spoken or seen his 3 daughters in over 3 years.

Posted by butterfly197969, 26th September 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • I’d approach Department of Immigration and the Passport office. They do have ways to legally get around this, especially if she hasn’t seen him for a few years.

  • What happened in the end butterfly197969 ? Hope your ex signed and you got to enjoy your holiday ! Did you need to get legal advice ?

  • Yeah, not a great situation, but not much you can do if he refuses to sign and your daughter can’t go. Only four years til she’s eighteen and she’ll be able to go anywhere she wants

  • Don’t these “fathers” really get your goat? How annoying he’s playing no part in their lives, hasn’t for 3 years, and yet he can still control them. I really hope you find a way around it or ex comes around and signs

  • I would think you’d have to approach the courts…

  • Does he pay child support, do cash jobs and his income can’t be proved or is he on the dole?
    Is he frightened you won’t bring them back, or think that if you want to take them overseas, are you using child support money for trip instead of other things for the children. He may think he is paying too much and lodge an appeal the amount he has to pay. I know a Dad who threatened to take it to the Family Court if the Mum refused to sign the papers during the time that he had custody. He booked the holiday before he even asked for passport application to be signed. Like others have suggested, get some legal advice if you need to.

  • What a selfish man, I do hope it all works out for your daughters sake..

  • Contact your local solicitor, or legal aid and find out what the correct steps to do in this situation are. Hopefully it will all work out for you and you all get a fabulous holiday in Thailand.

  • I have all paper work ready, also realized i have concent orders not court orders so thats in my favour.

  • Good luck I haven’t been in the same situation as you but I do hope you find your answers

  • I would consult legal aid or a family lawyer and see what they say. The last thing you want is to be thinking that you are doing the right thing then to find out it’s completely incorrect. I hope for your daughter’s sake she gets her passport soon, travelling is so much fun!

  • I hope you come back and let us know how your application went.

  • I don’t know the law but if you have full legal custody then I would assume what you says goes. Goodluck

  • I’m sure he’s not the first bitter father to try this, there may be some legitimate reasoning for the law but I’m guessing you could apply for special consideration.

  • God they make me sick these men what does he think that he is punishing you?? No just his daughter there such idiots. my ex went mental because i took my child interstate for a holiday for goodness sake, I have no court orders I can take him where I want next thing will be this a fight over a passport. grrr

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating