20 Answers

My 5 year old daughter has a top front tooth growing down that has a yellow spot on it. After researching I found out that it is hypocalcification –  caused from trauma to her teeth (big brother was practicing karate and she ran into him, which caused her gums to bleed after her baby teeth had come out but before the adult teeth grew – thanks big brother!).
I’ve read some mothers say that they had to wait until their child was 12/13 to have this fixed. Does any one know if this is the case?

Posted anonymously, 2nd April 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • I think your dentist can best advice you on this. My 10yr old daughter has also some discoulored spots on her teeth, but to be honest it doesn’t bother her or me.

  • Never even heard of this happening.

  • My daughter had a few patches on her teeth that were slightly a different colour to the rest. Dentist said it wasn’t that uncommon and not to worry. It appears to have resolved itself and her teeth look great now. Just ask dentist on her next visit.

  • Get an opinion from a dentist.

  • If it’s not causing your daughter distress, and other kids aren’t giving her a hard time, I’d leave it until she reaches her teens to get it fixed.

  • hopefully when she has all of her second teeth she will be able to go and have some enamel put on them

  • i would visit a dentist :)

  • I work at a dentist, there are different options available, however, things like whitening and veneers you wait until they’re older – have a chat to your dentist about the suitable long term options – personally I know from a parents point of view if want it treated ASAP because kids can be cruel – but treatment that is done can effect the tooth structure, or may need replacing etc every few years, so the longer you can wait the better.

  • As long as it’s nothing more sinister I would be leaving it until a bit older. I have a friend that had this problem and she had her tooth chipped half off in a sport accident… Lucky they didn’t spend the money fixing it any sooner

  • I would chat to the dentist. If she is at school, you should be able to get into the school dental clinic

  • It sounds like nothing can be done until teen years

  • FOund on google:
    We do not recommend treatment of these hypocalcified areas until your child is at least in their early teens, when a more adult gingival height has developed. At that time, there are procedures that can be done to give your child’s teeth a more uniform color. Treatment may include microabrasion of the tooth, bleaching, or in some cases, removal of the hypocalcified area and replacement with a white filling.

  • I have a stain on one of my front teeth which people describe as my beauty spot…kind of like having a mole somewhere. Checked that it was nothing sinister with a few dentists and they all said it was ok to leave it. Had a similar smaller one on a bottom tooth (yeah, got unlucky with two spots!) and that one was a darker, ugly colour so had a cosmetic filling/cover over it and it’s gone. Check with your dentist.

  • Make an appointment to discuss it with your dentist.
    It shouldnt cost you anything at all as you can use the childs dental voucher.

  • there are some great resources about healing teeth naturally look at cure tooth decay from ramiel nigel and the weston a price foundation they have amazing information o how to reminerilize teeth may help in your situation

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating