Has anyone been in a situation where your young teen wanted to live with their other parent and the other parent withheld care, and went to court? Unfortunately it has taken over 1.5 years to get a final hearing outcome and the teen was ordered to return to the original parent who is now refusing to go back to them. In this situation it has been deemed the other parent who withheld care is unfit due to neglect to continue to be the primary carer now that court has ended.

If the teen is not allowed to live with the other parent but refuses to go back to their original primary carer what can you do to help the teen get the right support and care/ guidance needed? Thank you for reading.

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • Well if theyee legally not allowed to, there isnt much that can be done, surely?

  • Talk to the teenager, ask them what their views are. That’s the first step to understanding the situation.

  • It’s so important that this teen gets additional support to navigate such a difficult time. Well done for helping. Depending on which state you are in their are organisations to help. ‘Youth Law Australia’ is a great place to start.

  • I would seek legal advice.
    What state are you in ?
    What is the exact age of the teen ?

  • Maybe they need someone to talk to who hasn’t had any involvement in the process. They could reach out to the kids help line or headspace and talk out their feelings. This sounds like it’s been a bit chaotic, I can’t imagine seeing it through the lens of a teenager.

  • I’d definitely seek out support from agencies such as Anglicare or Centacare to help support the young person and the parent.

  • In such a complex situation, I would seeking the counsel of a family lawyer or mediator on navigating legal options and ensuring the teen’s well-being is prioritized. Additionally, connecting with local social services or counseling resources may offer support for the teen to address their needs and concerns effectively.

  • Sorry, I found this a little confusing to follow. I would approach the court in finding social workers/professionals who can guide the teenager.

Post your reply
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating