Hi all. I’ve been a single mum for a long time and haven’t had a chance to study or improve my job skills. I really would like to get into community services- what courses would I need to do to get into these types of jobs?

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • Not sure what kind of community services you’re asking about, but my daughter went to TAFE, did a 4 month course in Aged and Community Care, walked away with a job in Aged Care as soon as the course finished. The course also covers her for some Childcare Jodi as well as working with disabled

  • None! Some places just love the help! Red Cross salvos, they all help the community check out your local community centre they can point you in the right directions

  • i would think that you would need some kind of uni but i’m not sure. I think that because you are a mother, you will find some situations heartbreaking but if you think that you can handle this, give it a go. Go speak to an employment agency and they will point you in the right direction in terms of training and might even find you a position to apply for. If you do this through centrelink, i think that you don’t have to pay for this service and the job seeking agency will be able to some extant, help you with costs of getting back into the workplace, like uniforms and shoes etc. Good luck and well done for wanting to get into a career

  • It depends on what community service you would like to get into, you would possible need cert 4 in community services or specific service ie. Aged care. Although some places will employ you and put you through the study required. To find a job look on individual sites and SEEK of course. good luck with it and I hope you find something soon

  • Speak to Centrelink & see what they can offer. I’m sure they’ll be more than helpful & may even financially assist you with studies.Also try volunteering at local council,Meals on Wheel or other non-for profit organisations. They get to know you & your face. Goodluck

  • You would need to go to tafe and get certificates in community service work think it would cert 2,3 and 4 you would need.

Post your reply

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating