Hello!

23 Comments

Nine young children are being assessed by paramedics for breathing difficulties after they were exposed to chemical fumes at a public swimming pool just south of Sydney.

NSW Ambulance crews were called to Wollondilly Community Leisure Centre on Argyle Street in Picton at about 10am on Monday. It is believed an incorrect chemical mixture was added to the pool and formed a gas cloud, a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said.

The group of children being treated by paramedics are under six. Two of them were taken to hospital, reports yahoo 7.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman told Yahoo7 two adults have also been hospitalised.

Fire crews have ventilated the area and the gas has dissipated.

The leisure centre has been closed until emergency services clear the area.

Share your comments below

  • That should not have happened the people adding the chemicals shpuld be properly trained!

    Reply

  • We used to have issues with the local school pool being over dosed on chemicals. Lots of sore eyes etc til they got it right

    Reply

  • Thats a bad mistake to have been made. i hope all the kids are ok now

    Reply

  • I’m hoping this was an honest mistake and not done on purpose. Scary to think about. Hope all the children are okay now

    Reply

  • My husband used to run the local pools and he said its almost impossible for this sort of thing to happen. He’s quite concerned about it. Either they hire just anybody off the street and they haven’t got a clue how dangerous the chemicals they use are, or someone did it deliberately.

    Reply

  • I have noticed on a few occasions that the chemical smell at the pool little relatives of mine have swimming lessons in is quite strong. We were told it was a safety thing because of the kids having “accidents” and the water being contaminated by that.

    Reply

  • This is very concerning, Our local pool mixed the chemicals wrong but they continued swimmimg lessons, it wasn’t until the kids complained their skin burned that they stopped lessons.

    Reply

  • Aw this is very concerning and disturbing ! A chemical mixture added to the pool, should be something that is done with greatest care and like medication double checked. There’s too much at stake !

    Reply

  • Scary to think it can happen at these places where kids go

    Reply

  • Goodness – this is just dreadful. I hope this never happens again at the pool and they address this issue.

    Reply

  • This is so scary, I hope they are all okay!

    Reply

  • Wow that would have been very scary for the parents and the kids. I hope they all make a fast recovery

    Reply

  • Hope the kids are ok. I know it was probably procedure, but maybe it needs to be done first thing in the morning before they get customers

    Reply

  • This is awful and must have been terrifying for those involved hope they are all out of hospital and fully recovered asap.

    Reply

  • Wow how lucky it wasn’t any more serious for those kids

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join