- Serves 6
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
If you’re after a Butter Chicken Recipe created by a real Mum, this is it!
MoM Member Shilpa has shared her Butter Chicken Recipe with us and we couldn’t be more excited. We think there’s nothing better than a huge dish of Butter Chicken with rice, Papadums and yoghurt!
Where was Butter Chicken first created?
According to The Colonial Restaurant, Butter Chicken was first created in the late 40s. After fleeing from Pakistan at the time of partition, Indian man Gujral started his own restaurant called Moti Mahal in Delhi. An astute businessman, Gujral realized that the Tandoori Chicken hanging on the skewers above the tandoor all day would tend to dry out if unsold due to the lack of refrigeration facilities. Gujral then came up with the idea of creating a basic gravy with tomatoes, butter, cream and some spices to immerse the Tandoori Chicken pieces in, helping them regain moisture and become palatable again.
And thus, Butter Chicken was born and now loved by many cultures across the world!
Our tips to take your Butter Chicken Recipe to the next level …
- Think about everyone who will be eating – if you’ll be serving to children as well as adults, you might want to reduce the amount of chilli. Just serve with a small bowl of Sambal Oelek for those who’d like some extra heat.
- Have fun with lots of sides to accompany this recipe – cut up banana and coat in toasted coconut, make up a mix of natural yoghurt and finely diced cucumber and serve with a lovely homemade Mango Chutney.
- Serve with brown rice – we think the nutty flavour of brown rice really complement the spices in this Butter Chicken recipe.
Once you’ve tried this Butter Chicken, we’d love you to come back and give us your thoughts in the comments below.
Don’t forget that if you have a recipe like this, we LOVE recipes from members. Just whip up your favourite recipe, take a photo and then share it with thousands of other Mums by POSTING YOUR RECIPE.
If you love a little spice, you might also like to try some of these recipes:
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 kg Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 300 ml Thickened fresh cream
- 500 gms Canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Onion paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika powder or Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Dice the chicken into 2 cm chunks and gently fry off in a heavy bottom non-stick pan (or wok).
- Add all the other ingredients in the recipe and mix until well combined.
- Cover it with a lid and let it be on high flame for 15 mins. Stir it well and cover it again with the lid. Turn heat down to a simmer.
- After 15 minutes check the butter chicken and you should start to see the oil starting to come to the top. Stir well again.
- Continue cooking until the curry turns from pale pink to bright orange. Adjust the consistency, salt and sweetness of the curry to taste.
- Garnish it with extra cream and coriander. Serve it hot with rice or naan bread.