- Serves 4
- 150 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 14 Ingredients
This is the ultimate comfort food dish …simply divine and rich, oozing with nutritious goodness.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 2cm pieces, excess fat removed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g rindless bacon rashers, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 125ml(1/2cup) beef stock
- 125ml(1/2cup) Greek Yoghurt
- 18-20cm cob loaf
- 2 garlic cloves, extra, sliced
- 100g (1 cup) coarsely grated mozzarella
- Micro herbs, to serve
- Toss the beef and flour in a bowl or snap-lock plastic bag until well coated.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook the beef, in 2 batches, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl.
- Add the bacon and onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the bacon is golden. Add crushed garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic. Add beef, tomato, tomato paste and stock and Greek Yoghurt. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 11 ⁄2 hours. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Season.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut the top third from the cob loaf and scoop out the bread inside, leaving a 2cm-thick shell. Tear the inside bread into large pieces and place on the baking tray. Spray bread with oil and toss with sliced garlic. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the cob on the tray. Spoon the beef mixture into the cob. Top with the garlicky bread croutons. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beef is warmed through. Serve sprinkled with micro herbs.
A delicious winter warmer...do hope you enjoy.