This Chicken Lasagne with Pumpkin is perfect in so many ways! It’s low fat, easy to prepare and it freezes beautifully so is brilliant for double batching.
Chicken Lasagne is also a wonderfully filling and warming family dinner for any night of the week, the perfect share meal to take to a ‘pot luck dinner’ or the very best way to say you care by taking this to a friend or family member in need.
We also love that there’s a few really solid serves of veges included in this Chicken Lasagne – so if the kids don’t gobble up the fresh green salad or the steamed greens you serve alongside, you don’t need to stress!
Our favourite ready to use Lasagne Sheets are Latina Fresh Lasagne Sheets … and if you’re running short on time or patience you might like to forget making your own Bechamel Sauce and opt for Dolmio Bechamel Lasagne Sauce.
This recipe also spices up really nicely – just add some chilli flakes to the chicken tomato mixture before you set it to simmer.
Enjoy the addition of pumpkin too – roast pumpkin also works perfectly in this Chicken Lasagne Recipe! x
- For the Lasagne Sauce:
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 500g Chicken Breast Mince
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large Brown Onion, very finely diced
- 2 Zucchinis, grated or finely diced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 500g Tomato Passata or Pasta Sauce
- 1 tbsp Fresh Basil, Oregano & Thyme, finely chopped or Dried Italian Herb Mix
- 1 cup Butternut Pumpkin, peeled, chopped into 1cm cubes and steamed until soft
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Pinch White Pepper
- For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Mozarella Cheese, grated
- 375g Lasagne Sheets
- 1 cup Pizza cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced and spray your lasagne dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the chicken mince on high heat until cooked. Add the garlic to the pan, constantly stirring for one minute until the garlic is cooked and then add the onion and zucchini. Cook for 4 minutes until soft and translucent.
- While the mince is cooking steam or microwave the pumpkin until just soft.
- Add the tomato paste, passata, salt, pepper and herbs to the chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce sticks to the back of a wooden spoon and remove from heat.
- Make the bechamel sauce by heating the butter in a pan until melted and sprinkling the flour over the top. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly for 1 minute to remove any lumps. Whisk in the milk and nutmeg. Reduce the heat to low and add the mozarella cheese to the sauce - stirring all the time to combine and ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the lasagne, spread two spoons of the chicken mixture onto the bottom of the lasagne dish then cover with lasagne sheets. Then spread another two spoons of chicken mixture over and 2 spoons of bechamel sauce. Add a fine layer of pumpkin. Then add another layer of lasagne sheets followed by chicken mixture, bechamel and the remaining pumpkin. Finally another layer of lasagne sheets and pour the rest of the bechamel sauce over everything. Gently bump the dish on the bench to settle the mixture and remove any air pockets.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the bechamel sauce and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Gently place a layer of baking paper over the sauce then cover the lasagne dish tightly with foil. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes then remove the foil and the baking paper and either grill or bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes until the top browns.
- Remove form oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.