As Christmas approaches this chicken with walnut cranberry stuffing recipe is a great option for the family meal on Christmas day!
Ingredients (Serves 6)
For the Stuffing
- 10g pkt fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- ½ cup onion finely diced
- ½ cup celery finely diced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced chicken stock powder
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
For the Chicken
- 2 x 500g double skinless chicken breasts
- wooden toothpicks
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 oven bag
- cooking spray
- GRAVY (optional): 1½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced chicken stock powder
- 2½ tablespoons cornflour
- juice from chicken bag
- Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Stuffing: Remove stalks from sage leaves then finely chop.
- Place all stuffing ingredients into a medium size mixing bowl and combine well.
- Leave to one side.
- Chicken: Tidy chicken edges and remove fillets. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten chicken to an even thickness making sure you keep each double breast together.
- Place half the stuffing on the inside part of one double breast, spread evenly over chicken. Lift other half of breast over top of filling to encase in the chicken.
- Use toothpicks to secure edges, so no filling will escape. Repeat this with other double breast.
- Place flour into oven bag and shake.
- Spray tops of chicken with cooking spray then place into oven bag and tie opening.
- Prick a few holes into top of bag then place onto a flat baking tray.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and leave chicken to rest in bag for 10 minutes.
- Lift chicken out of bag and strain residue liquid from bag into a small saucepan to make gravy.
- Remove toothpicks then carefully slice chicken with a sharp knife.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Gravy: Place all ingredients into a small saucepan with chicken juice.
- Using a whisk, bring to boil and serve on the side with chicken.
- Suitable to be frozen.
*Variation Replace chicken breast with turkey breast.
|KILOJOULES||1355 (cals 324)|