- Serves 6
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 10 Ingredients
This Crispy Onion and Hot Smoked Salmon Pasta Recipe is a super quick idea for a pasta meal … the flavour of the Hot Smoked Salmon means you hardly need to add a thing and the crispy onion sprinkle adds a whole new dimension.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 500g Shell Pasta (dried pasta not fresh)
- 200g Fillet of Hot Smoked Salmon (available in a fully sealed pack in supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Spreadable Goats Cheese
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Good quality Butter
- Handful Fresh Snow Peas, strings removed
- 1/2 punnet Cherry or Solanto (Baby Egg) Tomatoes
- 1/2 Red Onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tsps Cornflour
- In a very large saucepan or stock pot, fill with water, add a good pinch of sea salt and then bring to the boil. Add the packet of shell pasta and cook until just al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the Sour Cream, Goats Cheese, Milk and good quality Butter to a small saucepan and then a small pinch of sea salt. Start to heat this over a medium temperature on the stove. While this is heating to just before boiling, put 2 tbsp of water into a glass and then add the 2 tsps of Cornflour. Stir the cornflour in until there are no lumps at all.
- Continue cooking the cream sauce stirring often to ensure no sticking to the saucepan base. Once cooked, cover with a lid to avoid a skin forming on top of the sauce.
- Once the cream sauce is cooked, prep all other ingredients - remove strings from Snow Peas, cut Baby Tomatoes in half, slice the Red Onion.
- Just before the pasta is finished drop the snow peas and onion into the boiling water with the pasta for no more than 1 minute. Once the pasta is just al dente, remove from heat and drain (no need to rinse).
- Pour the pasta and veges into a large mixing bowl and then add the cream sauce, the Hot Smoked Salmon and the cherry tomatoes.
- Gently stir together and serve immediately. Sprinkle generously with crispy onion sprinkles (store bought or you could make your own by shallow frying until very golden brown small onion pieces).
I like to always keep a piece of Hot Smoked Salmon in the fridge - it's just so versatile! Use it on a cheese platter, on little blinis with cream cheese & chives as finger food, add it to a salad or as in this recipe, make it the leading flavour in a creamy pasta dish.