This recipe for Crumbed Haloumi Sticks with Chilli Dipping Sauce will be a huge hit with everyone – whether it’s for a party or a pre-dinner nibble!
Ingredients (makes 12 haloumi sticks)
- 500g Haloumi cheese
- 1/2 cup Plain flour
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Fresh Bread or Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley, Basil or other fresh herbs
- 1tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Tinned cherry tomatoes or tomato pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dried chilli flakes or 1/2 teaspoon fresh finely chopped red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Slice haloumi into sticks approx 1cm thick x 2cm wide x 5cm long.
- Pat the haloumi sticks dry with paper towel.
- Place the plain flour into a flat bowl (cereal sized bowl will be fine).
- Crack the egg into a flat bowl and whisk lightly with a fork.
- Place the breadcrumbs, herbs and sea salt into a food processor and blitz until the mixture is a fine breadcrumb mix. Place the breadcrumbs into a larger flat bowl.
- Working with one haloumi stick at a time, gently toss in flour, then dip into the egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumb mixture - ensuring each stick is evenly coated in the breadcrumbs. You can double crumb if you like extra crunch and flavour!
- To cook the haloumi sticks, you can either deep fry, pan fry or cook in a hot oven - your choice. Just cook until the crumb is golden brown all over.
- To make the chilli tomato dipping sauce combine the tomatoes, chilli and brown sugar in a small bowl and stir well.
- Arrange the haloumi sticks and the dipping sauce on a platter, garnish with more fresh herbs and enjoy!