- Makes 12
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 10 Ingredients
This recipe for Crumbed Haloumi Sticks with Chilli Dipping Sauce will be a huge hit with everyone – whether it’s for a party or a pre-dinner nibble!
Ingredients (makes 12 haloumi sticks)
- 500g Haloumi cheese
- 1/2 cup Plain flour
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Fresh Bread or Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley, Basil or other fresh herbs
- 1tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Tinned cherry tomatoes or tomato pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dried chilli flakes or 1/2 teaspoon fresh finely chopped red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Bertolli Light in Taste Olive Oil (for frying)
- Slice haloumi into sticks approx 1cm thick x 2cm wide x 5cm long.
- Pat the haloumi sticks dry with paper towel.
- Place the plain flour into a flat bowl (cereal sized bowl will be fine).
- Crack the egg into a flat bowl and whisk lightly with a fork.
- Place the breadcrumbs, herbs and sea salt into a food processor and blitz until the mixture is a fine breadcrumb mix. Place the breadcrumbs into a larger flat bowl.
- Working with one haloumi stick at a time, gently toss in flour, then dip into the egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumb mixture - ensuring each stick is evenly coated in the breadcrumbs. You can double crumb if you like extra crunch and flavour!
- To cook the haloumi sticks, you can either deep fry or pan fry - your choice. Just cook until the crumb is golden brown all over.
- To make the chilli tomato dipping sauce combine the tomatoes, chilli and brown sugar in a small bowl and stir well.
- Arrange the haloumi sticks and the dipping sauce on a platter, garnish with more fresh herbs and enjoy!
Feel free to amend the dipping sauce to suit your needs - my kids don't love the hot chilli so we serve with sweet chilli (and a little sour cream) or a garlic aioli instead.We used Bertolli Light in Taste Olive Oil in this recipe and couldn't be happier with the way the subtle olive flavour added to the result. Bertolli is the world’s no. 1 olive oil brand. Bertolli Light in Taste is pure olive oil that has a mild flavour that’s still full of character. It’s especially good when you want your olive oil to play a supporting role or when cooking with lighter flavours. You can use it anywhere you would use vegetable oil. It’s particularly good to use when baking, you get wonderfully moist cakes and it’s so easy to use. Bertolli olive oil contains just crushed olives, nothing else. Bertolli Light in Taste Olive Oil is available at Woolworths and selected IGA stores nationally.