Really simple to whip up, these scrolls are ready in just under an hour!
Ingredients (makes 16 scrolls)
- 2 3/4 cups Plain flour
- 3 TBS Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/4 tsp Dried instant yeast
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 TBS Unsalted butter
- 1 large Egg
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 2 TBS Ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 TBS Milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off after 10 minutes or just before placing rolls in oven.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside.
- In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted (about 30-45 seconds). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead with hand or with stand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15x9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough.
- Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 16 even pieces. Place in a lightly greased square pan, with room in between each one to allow room to rise, and lightly cover with alfoil.
- TURN OFF the oven and place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes.
- Keep the buns in the oven but remove the foil and turn the oven back on to 190 degrees.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven
- To make glaze, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons milk together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.
If you want a coffee glaze, swap the 2 TBS milk for 2 TBS Coffee (I make a strong white coffee and use that) Or make both and have half and half!