- Difficulty Easy
Here are a couple of easy recipes the kids can make or help with. If your children aren’t skilled in the kitchen make sure there is an adult there to help!
1. Cinnamon Apple Toast
Ingredients: 1 slice of Bread, ½ Granny Smith Apple, Butter, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, flaked Almonds.
- Slice half a Granny Smith Apple into fairly thin wedges.
- Toast a piece of Bread and then butter it lay the Apple slices around in a flower shape on the toast. Sprinkle with a pinch of brown sugar and a pinch of Cinnamon. Top with a sprinkling of Almond Flakes.
- Bake in oven: 170 degrees for five minutes to warm Apple through and soften brown sugar.
2. Love Heart Pikelets
How about making some Pikelets for Breakfast? Pikelets are just the right size for the younger ones to flip. These can be made the afternoon before and put in an airtight container. Let the kids put them on a plate and arrange them beautifully for you.
Pikelet Recipe can be found here
*You could butter them and sprinkle them in Hundreds and Thousands – Hundreds and Thousands of ways you love Mum.
3. Breaky Salad
How about more of a Brunch? This breakfast salad is one of my favourites actually I have it for dinner sometimes too. Cut up the lettuce, tomato, cucumber the night before and keep airtight in the fridge. In the morning help the kids cook an egg and a piece of toast and then get them to assemble by putting your pre made salad in a bowl with the chopped up egg and torn up toast. Serve with a dollop of tomato chutney. This is great because you can use whatever salad you like, maybe add some bacon or in my case anchovies.
4. Tiny Puff Pillows
These are easy and delicious and perfect for a little bite of something to have with a cup of tea or coffee.
Ingredients: 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry, Jam, Oil spray.
- Cut your square puff pastry into six by slicing into three lengthways and then once horizontally across the middle.
- Place a good dollop of Jam in the middle and fold over into a pillow shape.
- Using a fork seal around the edges of the pastry.
- Bake on a baking paper lined tray in oven at 175 degrees Celsius for 15-20mins. Just until golden brown.
*You can make these savouries by exchanging the Jam for some cut up Ham and grated Cheese. 1 Sheet of pastry you need approx. ¼ cup grated Tasty cheese and about 4 slices of ham sliced thinly.
5. French Toast
Decadent but deserving. Can be served on its own or with Fruit and Maple Syrup.
If you have a budding little Chef this is a good one for them.
Recipes the kids can make for Mums French Toast can be found here