- Serves 4
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 12 Ingredients
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs good-quality red harissa paste*
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) beef stock
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tbs chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- Sliced grilled Turkish bread, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add half the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add half the garlic and 1 tablespoon harissa paste and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add cinnamon, tomato and stock, stir to combine and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mince, coriander, breadcrumbs and remaining onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon harissa in a bowl. Season then form tablespoonfuls of lamb mixture into walnut-sized balls. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil overt medium heat and cook half the meatballs for 3-4 minutes, turning, until golden all over and almost cooked. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and meatballs.
- Divide meatballs among 4 x 2-cup (500ml) ovenproof dishes or place in a 1.5L-capacity baking dish, then pour over the hot tomato sauce. Form a well in the centre of each dish and crack an egg into it. If using a large dish, make 4 wells in the tomato mixture. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the eggwhites are just cooked, but the yolks are still runny.
- Served with sliced grilled Turkish bread.
*We used Malouf's Spice Mezza Red Harissa, available from selected delis and gourmet food shops, or online at gregmalouf.com.au and essentialingredient.com.au