- Makes 14
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 15 Ingredients
A light and delicious alternative for dinner. They are quick to make and will disappear just fast!
Ingredients (makes 14 empanadas)
- 450g Plain flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Salt
- 170g Unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 Egg
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 TBS Butter OR oil
- 1/2 White onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 225g Minced beef
- 2 small Hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 60g Pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 Egg, whisked
- For the dough: Mix the flour and salt in a food processor, then add in the butter and pulse until mixed.
- Add the egg and 60-125ml water (in small increments) and continue to pulse until a clumpy dough forms. Split the dough into 2 large balls and flatten slightly into discs.
- For the filling: Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is soft. Add in the oregano and cumin, and season with salt and pepper
- Add in the mince beef and cook stirring until the meat is fully cooked. When done, add in the eggs and olives. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Allow filling to cool completely
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper
- To assemble: Roll out the dough into thin sheets and cut out round disc shapes. I used a small plate to do this, but you can roll out individual small balls and roll into circles with a rolling pin. If you use this method it doesn't matter if they aren't perfectly round
- Place a generous amount of beef filling into the centre of each empanada and fold into a half moon and seal edges gently with your fingers. Twist and fold the edges of the empanadas with your fingers. If you wish, you can seal the edges more by using a fork around the edge.
- Place the empanadas onto your baking tray, and brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve warm, either alone or with a dipping sauce. Chimichurri tastes amazing with these.
The dough can be used immediately, or covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days , until ready to use