- Serves 12
- 1.10 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 7 Ingredients
So you’ve looked in the pantry, and discovered you have no flour…
Can you even make a cake without flour?
Of course you can! This is a quick and easy no-mix. flourless chocolate cake that the whole family will love and come back for more of! Because of its simple, no-mix method, this flourless chocolate cake recipe is another great one to whip out when you’ve got children heckling you for some quality baking time. This original recipe from one of our Mouths of Mums members uses a food processor to save time and cut down on washing up. So what’s the secret to avoiding flour in a chocolate cake?
Using almond meal instead of flour in your flourless chocolate cake
… it’s almond meal!
We love almonds so much, here’s something else you can do with these superfood nuts. You can buy almond meal in most stores nowadays, including Coles and Woolies. It’s a great substitute for flour because it still acts the same way as flour; thickening and forming the fluffy guts of a good chocolate cake.
But what actually is almond meal? It’s the flour made from ground whole almonds. It adds more moisture to baked goods than flour, and is a neat and easy alternate to wheat-flour in baking. You can even easily make almond meal at home on your own! All you’d need is a bunch of almonds, a coffee grinder, and a sifter. Almond meal usually takes less than five minutes to make, and is a great, simple way to preserve your almonds. It can be used in many other baking recipes apart from this flourless chocolate cake. It’s an essential ingredient in frangipane, marzipan, French macarons and many fruit tarts, but you can use it as a substitute for flour in pretty much any recipe!
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 250g dark chocolate
- 250g almond meal
- 250g sugar
- 150g room temperature butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees
- Line an 8 inch cake tin with baking paper
- Put dark chocolate into food processor and blend for 10 to 15 seconds and blend until finely grated. Set aside with almond meal
- Add all other remaining ingredients into food processor and blend for 20 seconds.
- Add chocolate and almond mixture and blend for 30 seconds. Do not over-mix
- Scrape down and put mixture into lined tin with baking paper.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour at 180 degrees.
- When cool, remove from tin and dust with sifted icing sugar and add chopped strawberries if desired.