- Makes 25
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Great for a rainy day activity with the kids.
Ingredients (makes 25 Gingerbread people)
- 125g Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 3 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 1/2 Cups Pure icing sugar
- 1 Egg White
- 4 Drops Lemon Juice
- Food Colouring
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg yolk, beat well. Gradually add sifted flour, bicarbonate of soda, and ground ginger. Add syrup, mix well, knead lightly.
- Divide dough into portions. Roll each portion between two sheets of baking paper to about 3mm thickness.
- Gently remove the top piece of baking paper and cut out gingerbread figures either with a cookie cutter or using a knife. Repeat until all of the dough has been used.
- Transfer figures onto a lightly greased oven tray. Bake in a preheated 180•C oven for 10 minutes. Cool on trays.
- To make the royal icing: Sift icing sugar. Beat egg white lightly in a small bowl. Add icing sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. When icing reaches piping consistency, beat in lemon juice and desired food colouring.
- Spoon icing into a small plastic bag, snip off one corner to make a piping bag. Decorate as you wish.
*We often use a different icing recipe that is basically just; icing sugar, a little butter, hot water and food colouring.