A beautiful combination of flavors really makes this a very tasty lunch or dinner. Inexpensive to make (under $10), it’s very filling and really tasty…crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside!! Great to take on a picnic or a day when you don’t have alot of time to make anything for dinner. Try this delicious Gourmet Layered Cob Sandwich and tell us what you think!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 Cob loaf
- 4 TBS Pizza sauce / tomato paste
- 12 slices Chilli or plain salami
- 1 cup Baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup Grated mozzarella
- 1 cup Fire roasted Capsicum pieces
- Italian herbs
- Salt & pepper
- Carefully cut the top off of the cob loaf, and set aside. Using a knife, carefully cut a circle in the bread and using your hands, scoop out the inside of the cob – making sure to keep in one piece.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the excess bread into one flat piece of bread. Brush the butter on both sides of the rolled-out bread and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside
- Place the cob in an oven-safe pan or baking tray, and place 2 TBS of the tomato paste into the bot-tom. Using the back of a spoon spread the paste out evenly on the base of the cob.
- Place a layer of salami, fire roasted capsicum, half the baby spinach and half the cheese on top of each other and then sprinkle with Italian herbs.
- Top with the toasted bread, pressing into the cob, and brush with the remaining pizza sauce. Layer the remaining ingredients on top of this
- Place the lid of bread on top of the cob and then press down with a heavy oven-safe pan
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve
Olives, sun dried tomato, fetta, eggplant or pesto are also great additions to this! Have a play around and find the combination your family likes the best!