Bite-sized and delicious, these toasties are for all the mango chutney lovers or for those who appreciate a good toastie!
A twist on the classic ham and cheese toastie, this Ham, Brie and Mango Chutney Toastie delivers in the flavour stakes.
Sweet mango chutney is paired with the saltiness of ham and brie for a balanced flavour combination.
We know that everyone who tries this toastie will love it, and once you’ve tried it you may never go back.
Ingredients (serves 4 | makes 4 )
- 8 slices bread
- 320g shaved ham
- 160g brie, sliced
- 50g butter, at room temperature
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- spiced mango chutney (makes 4 cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped (see tip)
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes, crushed
- 4 large mangoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled, grated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup port
- For the spiced mango chutney; Combine the oil, onion, chilli, ginger and salt in a large, 7cm deep frying pan (see tip). Place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often 6 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent. Add the mango, apple, sugar, vinegar and port. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Boil gently, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Spoon the hot chutney into hot sterilised jars, seal. Turn upside down and stand 2 minutes then turn right side up and allow to cool. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months.
- Spoon a heaped spoonful mango chutney onto 4 slices of bread. Top with the ham and cheese. Sandwich with the remaining bread.
- Combine butter and sesame seeds then spread over both sides of the bread. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches for 4 minutes each side or until the bread is golden and cheese is melted, or toast in a sandwich press. Enjoy!
Tip: Leave the chilli seeds in if you like the chutney spicy. Tip: Using a wide deep-frying pan speeds up the cooking time, if you don't have a deep wide pan, use a large saucepan, the cooking time will be about 10-15 minutes longer.