- Serves 4
- Makes 4
- 18 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 16 Ingredients
Toasties for those mango chutney lovers.
Ingredients (serves 4 | makes 4 )
- 8 slices sour dough
- 400g shaved ham
- 180g brie, sliced
- 50g butter, at room temperature
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- spiced mango chutney (makes 4 cups)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped (see tip)
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes, crushed
- 4 large Mangoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled, grated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup port
- For the spiced mango chutney; Combine the oil, onion, chilli, ginger and salt in a large, 7cm deep frying pan (see tip). Place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often 6 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent. Add the mango, apple, sugar, vinegar and port. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Boil gently, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Spoon the hot chutney into hot sterilized jars, seal. Turn upside down and stand 2 minutes then turn right side up and allow to cool. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months
- Spoon a heaped spoonful mango chutney onto 4 slices of the bread. Top with the ham and cheese. Sandwich with the remaining bread. Combine butter and sesame seeds then spread over both sides of the sandwiches.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches for 4 minutes each side or until the bread is golden and cheese is melted or toast in a sandwich press.
- Tip Leave the seeds in if you like the chutney spicy. Tip Using a wide deep-frying pan speeds up the cooking time, if you don’t have a deep wide pan, use a large saucepan, the cooking time will be a about 10-15 minutes longer.