A delightfully light and chocolatey cake with a beautiful hint of hazelnut. Decorate with berries and chopped nuts to add extra texture.
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 200g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 250g hazelnut meal
- 1 tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 300ml pure thin cream
- 300g dark chocolate
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- cherries, blackberries, chopped hazelnuts to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line base and sides of your Wiltshire Square Cake Pan 20cm with baking paper.
- To make the cake, place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Gradually add the cooled butter and chocolate then fold through the hazelnut meal and cocoa. Pour into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then remove onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to just below the boil. Meanwhile, place the chocolate and olive oil in a heatproof bowl. Pour cream over chocolate and then set aside for 3-4 minutes until chocolate has melted. Gently stir to form a smooth and shiny ganache. Set aside until cooled and thick. Spread over cooled cake and decorate with cherries, blackberries and hazelnuts.