Get ready to discover the most delicious salad recipe ever! And we use the word ‘salad’ loosely, but it works, and it’s so good. This Italian Brown Rice Salad Recipe is filled with flavour and makes the perfect side, or even main. It’s hearty, and delicious and sure to be a firm family favourite.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 1/3 slivered almonds, toasted (in a frying pan until light brown)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Cook the onion until soft, and almost translucent. Add the brown rice, garlic and lime rind. Stir to coat.
- Add the chicken stock, and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat. Turn down to a simmer, and cover. Cook for 50 minutes or until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- In a small bowl, place the ingredients for the dressing; the lime juice, white wine vinegar, garlic cloves, and dijon mustard. Stir to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients, along with the dressing to the rice and stir to combine. Transfer to a large serving platter or bowl and serve warm.