- Makes 1
- 5 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 6 Ingredients
Current nutrition trends tell us that the best breakfast we can give ourselves includes a serve PROTEIN + a serve of GOOD FAT + a serve of SMART CARBS. If this all sounds like hard work, it’s not. And these Little Breaky Egg Bowls are a great start.
These Little Breaky Egg Bowls are perfect if you are in a hurry and trying very hard to eat a nourishing breakfast rather than grabbing the kids leftovers or a coffee and banana bread. Literally 5 minutes and you’re done.
Ingredients (makes 1 Little Breaky Bowl)
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Brown Lentils, drained
- 1/4 Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 wedge Lemon
- 1 tsp Butter or Olive Oil
- Lightly beat together the eggs and the sour cream and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- If you like to scramble your eggs in a pan, add a little olive oil and/or butter to a non stick pan on a moderate heat and add the eggs. Try not to move the eggs around too much or the egg and liquid will separate. Cook until 'just cooked' - that way the egg will stay silky smooth. If you prefer to pop the eggs in the microwave, run a little butter or olive oil around the inside of your little bowl, add the eggs and then cook on high for 15 - 20 seconds. Stir and then cook for a further 10 - 15 seconds if required (remember don't cook the eggs for too long as they will go rubbery)
- Once your egg are cooked, add the lentils, avocado, cherry tomatoes and a squeeze of lemon. Season to taste and if you feel like a little heat to get your metabolism up and running for the day, add some chilli flakes or a dusting of cayenne pepper.
If you're not a fan of lentils, you could switch this out for another 'smart carb'. Try a few pieces of baked sweet potato (perhaps left over from a roast dinner), some Mexican Black Beans, a tablespoon of cooked Quinoa, a tablespoon of Brown Rice or at a stretch, a small piece of toasted good quality sourdough bread.