- Serves 8
- Makes 8
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
A surefire hit at afternoon tea, this orange cake is super easy to make and tastes amazing!
This orange cake is the perfect mix of citrus and savoury, combining to make a snack that you and the family will absolutely love!
Make too much? Just chuck it in the freezer and thaw when you feel like it! It’s perfect for impromptu tea with your friends, just drizzle some icing on top and it’s bound to be a hit!
This cake is a perfect addition to any school lunchbox or after-school snack.
Do you already love orange cake? Stock up on oranges to make this tasty treat whenever you feel like it!
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 8 slices)
- CAKE: .
- 125G unsalted butter at room temperature
- 230G / 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225G / 1.5 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 125ml / .5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of half an orange
- ICING: .
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbs orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 240G / 1.5 cups icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a 20cm ring cake tin and line with baking paper
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, then beat a further two minutes. Gradually add the flour. Alternating with the orange juice, zest and fold into the mixture. Place the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, cream the butter and then slowly beat in the orange juice and icing sugar until the mixture is smooth and thick. If you prefer a runny icing, add a little more orange juice. Spread the icing over the top of the cake
This recipe is from my favourite cookbook 'Monday Morning Cooking Club'. A bunch of women that get together to share food, stories and sisterhood.