- Serves 4
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 15 Ingredients
Mushrooms are packed with nutritional value, and can help to boost your immune system, which is perfect on these cold and dreary days! This Mushroom Ragu with Creamy Polenta is a perfect way to take advantage of all the humble mushroom has to offer – not to mention, it’s delicious!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 80g Butter
- 1 Leek, washed and sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 250g Button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 sprigs Thyme - leaves removed and stem discarded
- 3/4 cup Vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 50g Baby spinach leaves
- 500ml Milk
- 500ml Vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup Polenta
- 1 TBS Butter
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan + extra for serving
- Mushroom Ragu: Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the leek and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the leeks are softened. Add mushrooms and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently so as to not break up mushrooms.
- Combine stock with the cornflour and stir into mushroom mixture. Cook over medium heat for a further 3-4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Fold through the spinach and remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Polenta: Combine the milk and stock in a medium heavy-based saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until the polenta is soft and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and parmesan.
- To serve, spoon the creamy polenta onto serving plates and top with the mushroom ragu. Scatter with a little extra parmesan and cracked black pepper