- Serves 6
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 4 Ingredients
This simple egg free pasta is quick and easy to prepare, and only takes minutes to cook! Orecchiette is a variety of home-made pasta typical of Apulia, a region of southern Italy. Its name comes from its shape, which resembles a small ear.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 cup Semolina flour/fine
- 1 cup Plain flour
- 1/2 cup Lukewarm water
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix semolina and flour in a bowl and form a well in center.
- Add water and salt to well.
- Use fork to mix until dough is formed – some semolina won’t mix in!
- Flour your cutting board (or just use the bench) and put dough onto it.
- Knead dough, adding semolina from bowl as necessary until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces and wrap separately in plastic wrap.
- Dust you hands with some flour.
- Remove plastic wrap from 1 piece of dough and roll between your hands to create a long snake 1cm wide.
- With a sharp knife cut into ½ cm pieces, separating pieces as cut so they are no longer touching.
- Lightly toss cut pieces with a little flour mixture.
- Put each cut piece of dough, cut side down, on the palm of your hand and form an “ear” by pressing your thumb into dough and twisting slightly.
- Arrange orecchiette on a tray or cutting board.
- Make more orecchiette with remaining dough.
- Once ready to cook boil salted water and drop in orecchiette. Stir so that it doesn’t stick together until water is boiling again. Cook for 4-6 minutes (depending on how thick your pasta is) or until it tastes cooked!
- Drain into a colander or using a slotted spoon.
- Enjoy with our nut free pesto or your favourite pasta sauce!
This quick and easy pasta is easy for kids to make for dinner or even a hearty afternoon snack after school. Stir through some pesto for a tasty meal.