Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day! And avocado on toast is what i usually order when i’m dining out. However, cooking poached eggs at home is easier than you would think, its just practice so why not give it a go by creating a cafe style breakfast at home. Surprise that special someone in your life and cook them up a breakfast to remember!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado
- 50g feta
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- 10g chives, finely chopped
- to taste salt, pepper
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and add the vinegar. Bring to the boil.
- Slice the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh into the bowl, gently crush with a fork. Add in the tomatoes, chives, lemon juice and then crumble in the feta. Genty stir through.
- Once the water has come to a boil, using a spoon stir the water to create a whirlpool and break the eggs straight into the water. If you are not confident to break it straight in the water you can break the egg into a small bowl or large spoon first and then lower it gently into the water. Set a timer for 3 minutes and reduce the heat a little so that it Is not a rapid boil rather a nice gentle simmer.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread and place it onto your serving plate, lay over 2 slices of smoked salmon per each piece of bread, then top with the avocado mix.
- Once the eggs have cooked remove them using a slotted spoon and place onto paper towel to remove the excess water, season with salt and pepper and then gently transfer the eggs on top of the avocado. Serve immediately.