Lasagne is a great dinner to make the day before and throw in the oven when you get home!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800g pork and beef mince (I use 400g of each)
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar ( I use vinno cotto)
- 700g bottle passatta
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped sage leaves
- 40g butter (unsalted)
- 2 Tbsp additional plain flour
- 2.5 cups milk
- 1.5 cups grated parmesan (or to taste, I use less)
- 250g lasagne sheets
- 2.5 cups mozarella (or to taste, I use less)
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees fan forced. Heat oil in a large saucepan; cook onion and celery, stirring until soft. Add garlic and cook; stirring until fragrant.
- Add mince; cook, stirring until meat changes colour. Add flour; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, pasta sauce and undrained tomatoes; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in chopped sage.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add extra flour; cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and bubbles. Gradually stir in milk; stir until mixture boils and thickens. Remove sauce from heat; stir in one third of the parmesan.
- Spread a quarter of the meat sauce into a shallow 20cm x 31cm ovenproof dish. Cover with one third of the trimmed lasagne sheets, then one third of the remaining meat sauce, half the cheese sauce and half the mozzarella. Make two more layers with the remaining lasagne and meat sauce; top with remaining cheese sauce then sprinkle with sage leaves.
- Transfer to oven; cook uncovered for 50 minutes or until browned lightly. Stand for 15 minutes before serving.