- Difficulty Easy
Red velvet cupcakes not only look luscious – they taste it too! Try this red velvet cupcakes recipe and find out for yourself!
- ½ cup (90g) canned sliced beetroot drained
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon red food colouring
- 3 tablespoons Nutella® spread
- 2 tablespoons (30g) Flora Light margarine melted
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1¾ cups self-raising flour
- 12 cupcake paper cases
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar sifted
- 90g light cream cheese 50% less fat (Select®)
- 2-3 drops red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC fan forced.
- Cakes: Place beetroot into a small bowl and blend until fine using a stick blender. Leave to one side.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Add beetroot, essence, red colouring, nutella, melted margarine and milk and beat until well-combined using a wooden spoon.
- Sift flour into wet mix and gently fold using a wooden spoon. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cupcakes tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cupcake.
- Place each cupcake case into a 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon an even amount of mixture into each case.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Remove cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- Topping: In a small mixing bowl place sifted icing sugar and cream cheese, beating together until blended. Refrigerate until required. Either pipe or spoon equal amounts of topping in centre of each cupcake.
- Sugar sprinkles: Stir red colouring into white sugar and mix until blended. Put topping and sugar sprinkles on cupcakes just before serving.
To make Red Velvet Cake, use a round 20cm cake tin coated with cooking spray. Bake 180ºC fan forced 35-40 minutes or until cooked to touch in centre. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Then either ice with topping or make pink icing.
*Suitable to be frozen.
**Dietitian’s tip: Red cupcakes look fantastic, however, they are an occasional food as they contain very little nutritional value.
Recipe Red velvet cupcakes recipe
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.