- Difficulty Easy
Red velvet cupcakes not only look luscious – they taste it too! Try this red velvet cupcakes recipe and find out for yourself!
- ½ cup (90g) canned sliced beetroot drained
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon red food colouring
- 3 tablespoons Nutella® spread
- 2 tablespoons (30g) Flora Light margarine melted
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1¾ cups self-raising flour
- 12 cupcake paper cases
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar sifted
- 90g light cream cheese 50% less fat (Select®)
- 2-3 drops red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC fan forced.
- Cakes: Place beetroot into a small bowl and blend until fine using a stick blender. Leave to one side.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Add beetroot, essence, red colouring, nutella, melted margarine and milk and beat until well-combined using a wooden spoon.
- Sift flour into wet mix and gently fold using a wooden spoon. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cupcakes tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cupcake.
- Place each cupcake case into a 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon an even amount of mixture into each case.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Remove cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- Topping: In a small mixing bowl place sifted icing sugar and cream cheese, beating together until blended. Refrigerate until required. Either pipe or spoon equal amounts of topping in centre of each cupcake.
- Sugar sprinkles: Stir red colouring into white sugar and mix until blended. Put topping and sugar sprinkles on cupcakes just before serving.
To make Red Velvet Cake, use a round 20cm cake tin coated with cooking spray. Bake 180ºC fan forced 35-40 minutes or until cooked to touch in centre. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Then either ice with topping or make pink icing.
*Suitable to be frozen.
**Dietitian’s tip: Red cupcakes look fantastic, however, they are an occasional food as they contain very little nutritional value.