- Difficulty Easy
- 7 Ingredients
These are scones fit for a Queen. The monarch’s pastry chefs of Buckingham Palace have shared the top-secret recipe for Royal fruit scones and we are royally charmed.
These royal fruit scones are usually one of the most popular treats served at the Queen’s garden parties.
In a post on the Royal Family’s social media pages, the chefs shared that they serve over 27,000 cups of teas, 20,000 sandwiches and 20,000 slices of cakes during Garden Party season in the summer.
Since these festive outdoor events have been cancelled this year due to COVID-19, the pastry chefs have decided to reveal their royal fruit scones recipe so we can all make these sublime treats at home.
Over 8,000 guests drink tea, mingle and munch at the special palace soirees, which are held to recognise and reward outstanding public service.
In this simple royal fruit scones recipe, the Queen’s bakers use top quality ingredients to make the scone dough. They suggest adding sultanas as an added treat, but this is optional.
While there is an ongoing worldwide debate as to whether the cream or jam goes onto the scone first, the photos released by the palace clearly show the cream is dolloped on the scone first, followed by a generous helping of your favourite jam.
- 500g Plain Flour
- 28g Baking Powder
- 94g Butter
- 86g Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 140ml Butter Milk
- 100g Sultanas (Cover in hot water and leave to soak for 30 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Mix the flour, baking powder, butter and sugar together in a bowl, until a crumb is formed
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together
- Add the liquid to the crumb mixture
- Continue to mix the dough, until it is smooth
- (Optional) Add the sultanas, and mix until evenly distributed
- Remove the dough from the bowl, flatten the dough and cover
- Cover and leave to rest for approximately 30 minutes
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 2.5 cm and cut to desired shape
- Rest the scones for another 20 minutes
- Gently brush egg on the top of the scones
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
- Cool before serving with jam and clotted cream
Recipe Royal Fruit Scones Recipe Direct From Buckingham Palace
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.