This Smashed Potato + Bacon Salad with Feta Cream is a take on the traditional potato salad.
The perfect side salad for a weekend summer BBQ, this smashed potato and bacon salad includes red onion, fresh parsley and chives adding freshness and flavour.
The salad is topped with a delicious Feta Cream that’s made up of feta, zesty lemon juice and to finish it off Paul Newman’s Own Creamy Caesar Dressing.
Paul Newman’s Own makes great tasting products using high quality ingredients. Sporting new look packaging, Paul Newman’s Own products are manufactured in Australia, and 2023 marks the 40th anniversary of the product being sold in Australia.
What we love about Paul Newman’s Own is that they make Radically Good Food and Do Radically Good by giving away 100% of their Profits.
The Newman’s Own Foundation nourishes and transforms the lives of children who face adversity, with 100% of Profits used to Help Kids. This year they are helping Aussie kids who face serious illness experience the fun and freedom of camp.
- 1kg white cocktail potatoes, or any white potato scrubbed clean and chopped into 4cm chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 200g streaky bacon slices
- 2 garlic cloves, skin left on
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, very finely sliced
- Feta Cream
- ¼ cup Paul Newman’s Own Creamy Caesar Dressing
- 50g Danish or goat feta
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the potatoes and boil for 20 minutes until soft when pierced with a knife. Drain and tip potatoes onto a large baking tray. Using the back of a fork, crush the potatoes until they crush and flatten. Drizzle over the olive oil, ensuring to coat the potatoes well as this will help crisp them up. Place the garlic cloves, still in their skins onto the baking tray, too. Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the tray, pick out the garlic cloves and place the bacon slices on top. Place the tray back into the oven and turn to high grill. Grill for 15-20 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the garlic out of their skins and into a small bowl. Add in the feta and mash together with the back of a fork. Add in the Paul Newman's Own Creamy Caesar Dressing, lemon juice, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Mix, and continue to mash with the back of the fork until you create a smooth cream.
- Remove the potatoes and bacon from the oven and place into a serving bowl. Top with the parsley, chives, red onion slices and dollop over the Feta Cream.