If you’re looking for something creamy and indulgent with a kick of heat and a boozy hit, this famous Vodka Pasta Recipe ticks every box.
Shared by model Gigi Hadid on Instagram a while ago, it’s still one of the most delicious celebrity recipes floating around social media.
Also known as Pasta Alla Vodka, the recipe itself is pretty simple, just the rich flavours of garlic, tomato paste, onion and cream, lifted by the addition red pepper flakes and, of course, a splash of vodka.
What we love about this sauce is that’s it’s super simple to tweak to your own tastes. If you’re partial to a bit more heat, dial up the red pepper flakes. If you’re not keen on alcohol in your cooking, omit the vodka. Or add extra if that’s your thing. If you watch Gigi’s video below, you’ll see she adapted her recipe with what she had on hand.
If you’re keen to add some protein, this pasta would be phenomenal with prawns!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- ¼ green onion
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tbs vodka
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 225 grams pasta
- 1 tbs butter
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Basil, chopped, to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil, garlic and onion in a large saucepan. Cook until soft.
- Add tomato paste and cook until it slightly darker and caramelised.
- Add in the cream and the vodka and cook until evaporated.
- Add the red pepper flakes.
- Stir until combined, season with salt and pepper and remove sauce from the heat.
- Cook pasta in boiling water separately. Gigi uses shell pasta, but really any pasta will work.
- When the pasta is cooked, save a little of the pasta water before draining.
- Add the pasta, some pasta water and butter to the sauce and stir over a medium heat until the butter has melted and the sauce is saucy!
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with more cheese and basil.