- Serves 8
- 6 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 8 Ingredients
A deliciously decadent alternative to the traditional trifle
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 250g Sponge finger biscuits
- 1/4 cup Baileys Irish Whiskey
- 400 g White cooking chocolate
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 180 ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1 punnet strawberries
- Place the sponge finger biscuits in the base of a large serving bowl. Drizzle evenly with Baileys (if 1/4 is not enough use another 1/4 cup) until top of biscuits are soaked. Place chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl and melt in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring regularly. Pour chocolate into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool for 10 min.
- Beat yolks with electric mixer until pale, add vanilla and stir vigorously into cooled chocolate. In a separate bowl, add egg whites and sugar and whisk to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture, followed by whipped cream.
- Pour the mousse over the biscuits and chill for 5 hr or overnight. Once set you can top with the strawberries, however if you wish for it to keep for longer you may choose to add the berries to each individual serve as the berries don't stay nice after a couple of days in the fridge.